• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dip Stick

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Not really i just figured more people would read this if i put that there........but my problem is I can;t find the tranny's dip stick. I have 2 engine oil dipsticks and none for tranny. It is a 351C with the stock 72 3spd tranny. Where should I be looking for it? and is it possible to plug that hole with a bolt because if so i bet that is what the PO did. The reason I have 2 enigne is dune to the fact that the 351 has one in the block, and the oil pan is a modified 302 pan.....so any help TIA!!!!!!!!

green73brc

Re:I swear I am gonna sell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know if this will help but for me the stick is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment... really really close to the back... If I were you I would get under look around the tranny and try to find a tube that is sticking out tword the top to see if I can find any place to put a dipstick... an man was that mean!

T

teknalee

^ yep.. no dip on manual

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru

HEY DIP! YOU AINT GOT NO DIP!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

G

now that is funny

shortnfat73

Loc.
Tucson/AZ

I was waiting for someone else to poke fun(being a newbie). Thanks for releaving me of that duty ;D

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas

You can look till the cows come home however there is no dip-tube on a manual tranny. I do like your call sign, I was thinking I was the only Texan on this site.

Augustus

Loc.
South Milwaukee, WI.

holy jebus mutter of.... whaa the faaa.... and I thought I was green...thats ok, right of passage

OP
OP
TexasBronco

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI

Yeah I know it is a stupid question, but i was in a hurry and needed an answer, also my bronco is a working jimmy rigged vehicle so i just wanted to make sure. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru

Eh! Well obviously you understand now that it doesn't have one, but everyone neglected to be helpful enough to tell you how to check it.

There should be a Square head plug type of Bolt, remove it. The 90w gear fluid should be just at the bottom of that hole. Simply stick your finger in the hole and see if anything is on the end of your finger. If not add some till it over flows and replace the plug. Might want to wear rubber gloves because 90w gear oil really stinks-

If none of this makes since then get or check your haynes or chilton manuel, it will have pictures.

shortnfat73

Loc.
Tucson/AZ

Ya.... I would NOT!!!!! recamend putting 90w oil gear fluid in your transmission!!!!

But thanks for trying to be "helpful" BoltBuster ;)

choppy

Loc.
College Station, TX

Depends on which transmission it is, some use 90W, but most newer (modern) manual gearboxes use ATF, that is automatic transmission fluid.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA

stock 3-speeds do use 90 weight, as does the Dana 20 and np435.

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington

Hey dipstick, when you lead off with that heading, you get no breaks. Just remember that when you play with other peoples heads, you are fair game.

Oh yea, if you have a friend, and you leave yourself open to belittling criticism through exhibiting ingorance, it is that friends duty to you to give you Sh*t about it. It builds character. Just be thankful you don't have brothers. ;D

dpm