• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc Brake Conversion - Need help

wizard12

I am restoring a 71 that I got from my brother. It was in pieces in the bushes for 20+ years. I am at the point of putting together the front end and adding disc brakes. Unfortunately I threw away the rusted drum brake assemblies so I don't have a reference of what was on it before.

I purchased a front disc brake kit from Wild Horses but I think I missed something putting it together. I have the 3 same issues on both sides:

1. I am able to get the outside lock ring on the axle shaft and all my searches on this forum and youtube have people saying they can't get it on

2. the inside brake pad rubs the rotor. I can still get the caliper on but there is a drag on the rotor. Outside brake pad seems to have lots of room.

3. The Mile Marker cap will only go on just past the O-ring. It doesn't seem to go on completely flush. Almost seems to bottom out on something.Not sure if MM hub is not in far enough, or axle shaft is out too far.

I have taken both sides apart 2 times and re-assembled and still have the same issue. I guess I am consistent at doing something wrong ;D

Here are the steps I did
1. Put on new spindle from kit. This already had the seal installed in the end so I did not use the V-type rubber seal as per the instructions.
2. put on backing plate for caliper along with new spindle bolts and lock washers.
2. put on nylon thrust washer onto spindle with beveled edge facing knuckle (from the kit)
3. put on new inside bearing in rotor, and outside seal on rotor (all from the kit)
4. put in new outer bearing (from kit)
5. put in spindle nut with nipple facing out, torqued to 50, then backed off 90degrees
7. installed locking washer with holes ensuring nipple fit into a hole
8. installed outer spindle nut and torqued to 70
9. installed new Mile Marker hubs
10. installed outside locking ring (the big one)
11. installed outside locking ring on axle shaft
12. installed Mile Marker cap

Looking for any advise or ideas on possible issues.

I promise to get a build thread started shortly ;D

Thanks

Shane

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
1)on the chevy conversion kits, the lock ring on the axle stub will usually not install. Some have said they used a bolt and washer on the end of the axle stub, and others have said they didnt do anything and have no issues...I installed the bolt and washers on mine.
2) My personal experience on this one was caliper interference....Not sure exactly where the caliper was hitting either the knuckle or the mounting plate, but regardless, it resulted in having to grind a bit off the caliper in order to allow the pads to move freely. I am thinking it was in the area near the brake line inlet.
3)Not sure on this one....and not sure how mile marker hubs are installed, but if the inner components are installed correctly, the outer snap ring that goes in the hub should be able to be installed. This should allow the outer locking hub part to be inserted past the oring to the neck......If I remember right, locking hubs need to be installed with the selector in the "engaged" or "lock" position..... hope this sheds a little light on your issue.

OP
OP
W

wizard12

Thanks Junebug for the ideas
I am trying to put the Mile Marker cap on in the "free" position. I will try in the "engaged and see if it makes a difference.

Thegreatjustino
Sorry, I forgot to put in my list that I did in fact grind the knuckles to allow the caliper to move and not bind against the knuckle.

I will try and get a couple of pictures of the situation and post them tonight/tomorrow.

Appreciate the ideas, keep them coming