• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc brake conversion pad identification

Bustedbroc

Contributor
A question on my 74 EB with a disc brake conversion a PO did I am guessing 8-10 years ago. Truck is all stock except I see someone did a brake conversion to power disc front brakes and 11" rear drums. Brakes work ok but upon disassembly I see that a small portion of the front pad is not completely in contact with the rotor. It is actually partially off the edge of the rotor. That portion obviously has no wear on it. All components show little use since being installed. The brake caliper seems to me like standard Ford fare. I was just wondering if this kit was from let's say, TOMS, would it take standard 1975-77 Bronco pads or are special pads? Thanks in advance.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Take a pic of the caliper and post it here and then we can tell you what it is and what pads to get.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s actually an unfortunately common problem with the GM conversion setups.
Haven’t ever seen it on a Ford brake, but doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen.
But as said, post up pictures of your calipers. Or at least brackets, which would tell the tail as well.

OP
OP
Bustedbroc

Bustedbroc

Contributor
Will do. I am guessing it is standard Ford fare from recollection. Perhaps not. Tks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I recall there are actually 3 different diameters of Ford rotors. They interchange. And I suspect that the parts stores have commonized them all into a single interchange.
It's not a huge difference in diameters. I don't have access to my books (I know it is in the old Chilton's) at the moment. Off the top of my head the difference between the largest and smallest is maybe 1/10". You may have just enough dimensional stack up combined with standardization of interchange parts that you are getting the edge of the pad to overhang the edge of the rotor. Not to forget the manufacturing tolerances of the pads themselves, the friction material might be oversized and/or slightly off position on the backing plate.