• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do I switch bodies '72 for a '77 ??

mikemc

Loc.
Lake Tahoe
I have a '77 here. Just picked it up - drive great and suspension if fine. It needs floors, kick boards and some minor filling/rust clean up in the cargo area and engine compartment. It needs a pain job. The outer body is perfect! Very little rust, no dents. The paint is original.

On the other hand I have a '72 that was just completed and returned from the body shop. The floors are done, bondo where it needed to go (and it needed a lot of it). It looks great! HOWEVER, the frame is shot (rusted) and the suspension is toast - plus the engine will need some work too. Yes, this job was started backwards.

What do I do? Should I switch bodies? The '77 for the '72? Or take what I need from the '72 and sell it as is with a nearly completed body and do the '77 body over?

You see, I know what the '72 looked like before it was done up - EBAY RUST BUCKET! The '77 is (aside from the floors) perfect!

My feeling is to dump the '72 after I take certain parts off of it and send the '77 to the body shop. Because I know the '77 is a perfect base. You're comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

Baggs1977

Loc.
Dallas, Texas
if your happy with the way your 72 is swap it if you thinks you want a few more things or inprovments sell and start from scrach good luck

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Sell the 72 or part it. Put the $ into the 77. If the 72 is truely that rusted and bondo'ed over, its only a matter of time till all that nastyness shows through again if the rust wasnt cut out. The only reedeming factor for the 72 is that its a "72", pre- emision.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Dude, EB frames are cheap. I'll bet you could find someone local who has one for cheap, or free from a parts vehicle. Get the 72 swapped over.

While you are taking on that project, drive the neww 77 with patched floors. Once you have the 72 all swapped over, and driveable, go back to the 77 and fix it the right way.

Then keep them both, or sell the one you could live without. No matter which one you picked, you saved another EB from death.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Don't part out the '72. That frame can be replaced. Matkins sells kick a$$ frames!

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Jeepster said:
Sell the 72 or part it. Put the $ into the 77. If the 72 is truely that rusted and bondo'ed over, its only a matter of time till all that nastyness shows through again if the rust wasnt cut out. The only reedeming factor for the 72 is that its a "72", pre- emision.

I agree, the 77 has power steering, HD rear axle, power disc brakes, larger rear brakes than the other years. It's a keeper.
Tom

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
Keep the '77 and fix the floors.......as far as the 72 is concerned "once a rust bucket...always a rust bucket" (I didnt coin the phase but I have discovered it to be very true). If you change the frame and put something "ok" under it you could drive it while fixing the 77 and then sell it.

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
j.r.nice said:
Keep the '77 and fix the floors.......as far as the 72 is concerned "once a rust bucket...always a rust bucket" (I didnt coin the phase but I have discovered it to be very true). If you change the frame and put something "ok" under it you could drive it while fixing the 77 and then sell it.

I disagree.There is plenty of aftermarket sheet metal available and if done right can give new life to a lost cause.There are plenty of examples of members here who have done amazing things with "rust buckets"....2badrotties is a great example.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
broncoswede61 said:
I disagree.There is plenty of aftermarket sheet metal available and if done right can give new life to a lost cause.There are plenty of examples of members here who have done amazing things with "rust buckets"....2badrotties is a great example.

...but that's not the case with his '72. There's plenty of Bondo, meaning the panels weren't replaced. If it had nasty rust before, it will be back.

But I still stand by my post, unless you virtually replace every panel, a vehicle that has been subjected to an environment that "encourages" rust will continue along the same path. I have an 89 that was subjected to an area where they salted the roads. Once the quarters and tailgate started rusting there was no stopping it. It rusted in places most dont have places.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
If you can only keep one then keep the 77. Get the parts you want off the 72 then part it out or sell it. It sounds like the 77 is a pretty sweet ride. My personal preference if you could keep both is to fix up the 77 for a driver and the 72 for a trail rig.

What part of the country are you in? I might have a decent frame for sell soon.

-Greg

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
You would have to be Merlin the Magician to keep rust from rearing its ugly head from a former rotted panel with out cutting it out or replacement, plain and simple. I dont care who you are or what your skills. (I say with due respect) Now maybe if encased in POR 15 but being encased in Bondo I surly wouldnt put my money on it. If the frame is rotted that bad Im sure the rest wasnt all that good to begin with. I still say keep the 77.