• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does ANYONE make an adapter/sleeve to use a Ford steering wheel on a GM column?

eBronc2

Contributor
Seems like all the aftermarket tilt column manufacturers only offer columns that have the GM splined shafts - sure you can use an aftermarket wheel and adapter, but is there ANYONE that produces an adapter/sleeve/etc that will fit over the GM splines on the shaft and have Ford splines on the outer diameter so a Ford wheel will fit it? Seems like a pretty easy part to make, unless I'm missing something obvious (it's possible, I don't have a GM steering column shaft to measure).

There are a lot of Ford owners who want to use a Ford wheel and have a tilt column....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What’s the actual difference? Is the Ford a three-quarter by 36? Seems like it’s necked down a bit at the steering wheel, but I don’t know for sure.
What is the GM set up?
If there’s not much difference, it might be harder to make it adapter than you might think.
Cutting or broaching on an extra thin piece of material might not leave enough strength at a very critical junction.
A lot of companies wouldn’t want to be involved in that kind of an adapter.
Then again, I know there are companies that do make steering parts, but an adapter is maybe a different animal?
Don’t know. But now I’m curious what the actual dimensions are on each type.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
As @Shimmy said ididit makes the proper column.

The issue is space. There is not enough real estate for an adapter, it would add a minimum of 2-1/2” to the length of the steering wheel. Not to mention be a complicated endeavor.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That would not be an easy adaptor to make. The female splines that match GM is easy, normal aftermarket steering wheel adaptor does this all day long. But to get from there to a male ford shaft, stuff starts stacking up. As mentioned, it would be a deep adaptor.

On top of all that, pretty sure the column diameters are different as well. Where the Ford wheel matches a Ford column, the GM columns are larger in diameter if I am thinking of the right column comparison.

What Ford wheel are you trying to keep? There are some factory styled wheels aftermarket that will go on GM columns.
Ford did make a tilt column that work. You don't have to use a GM column.