• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door alignment with rollbar

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Guess I will dive in and if welds start popping I’ll know its too much!! Seriously though, I see Bronco Graveyard sell shims that are 3/16” thick. So, one or two of those must be ok. Would be great to have others weigh in with their shimming outcomes.

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Making some good progress. At this point I have (3) 1/8” shims behind the passenger seat and two in front. Now door sits a little proud of the rear quarter

Attachments

• 05AD8E9E-007F-4057-A60F-C479A0CD41FB.jpeg
    05AD8E9E-007F-4057-A60F-C479A0CD41FB.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 11

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good to hear about progress.
Hard to see in the picture, but if you’re talking about the top of the door sitting just above the top of the bed rail, that’s a simple fix involving lowering the striker post.
Or at least “should be” simple, unless the striker post is rusted in its mount.

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Actually the tops are pretty level. I am saying the door sits out from the rear panel about 1/8 inch at the top. But not the bottom.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With that either the top hinge needs to move inward slightly (if there’s any adjustment left), the door is tweaked, or the bed is tweaked. Possibly due to the roll bar like I think we were discussing before.
Since the front fender is slightly workable, the first order of business would be to fine tune the rear angle.

Not sure just how to verify that the b-pillar is “vertical square” to the body but there must be something to reference.
Sounds fiddly. Like you have to go back and forth at every other step.
Nothing like job security!

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Right! I thought the same thing about the top hinge. That will be my first trial.
I have been doing all my adjustments with the rollbar “unattatched”. Amazingly when I got all done with the shimming the rollbar lined up very well again. I noticed a big improvement in getting progress by also loosening the front body mount while adding shims at the two middle body mounts.

Now, about weatherstripping. I saw that others remove it while doing door adjustments. I removed the section along the bottom of the door. When I put it back, I hope it will deform enough to still let the door fit at least as good as right now.🤞