• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Double Grooved Power Steering pully.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... So I was wanting to swap my 300cid over to a Saginaw pump but when I got to the wrecking yard I walked through about 200 Truck & found no CANNED HAMS.
But I did find one double Grooved org Ford Thompson pump. So I gave the guy $40.00 & he pulled it off.
... I got too install it this morning . So After I got it installed I went to town to get 2 new belts for it. 6 parts stores in town & The Napa store wanted 22 or23 buck a belt . Then noone else has 2 belts alike . So I finally got down to ORiely They had 2 that were about an inch longer . So I took them . I had lot of top adjustment .
... Put the belts on & .. DamnIt my top WP PULLEY the 2 OUTSIDE GROOVES didn't match . The grove toward the radiator Must have been for the AC. FRONT belt dropped down inside the groove making the 2nd belt tight & the 1st loose. So I get to start over. But I was able to run the Power steering in the front groove set up with one belt. I cranked it up & It didn't squeal like the other pump had been doing . & THE PUMP WENT RIGHT TO WORK . DIDN'T require lifting the front wheel off the ground to get good steering . I only had to twist it back & fourth about twice & I was ready for a drive in the pasture.
....... So Anyone know of a WP Pulley with 3 groves all the same size. Not one 6 7/8 & next one 7 inches . Not really sure of it actually size . I just pulled those measurement out .. But they are really close but not the same.
some pictures ...
...1st is the double in place .
...2nd is showing the WP pulley it's the one on the left
...3rd & 6th is old one I pulled off.
...4th shows the double groved pump Not sure what truck it really came off of .
... But mainly guys a double groove does exist . I do think it really came off a V8 Truck.

Attachments

• DSCN6497.jpg
    DSCN6497.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN6496.jpg
    DSCN6496.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN6495.jpg
    DSCN6495.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN6494.jpg
    DSCN6494.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN6493.jpg
    DSCN6493.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN6492.jpg
    DSCN6492.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 28

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, we used to use the pulley that came with the car. There are special remover and installers to get the pulley off and on without damage. Maybe you can just use the good pump and only one belt. Good luck

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That doesn't look like the Thompson pump to me. Looks like a typical 80's whine-o-matic pump.

Add in the hundred or so different accessory drive configurations that were used in different years, models, trims, optional accessories, and whims of the engineers.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
That's a Ford CII power steering pump. I'm kind of surprised that it bolts onto the Ford-Thompson bracket. A pulley remover/installer is available at Harbor Freight for about 20 bucks.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... OK I guess you GUYS WERE Correct .. It is a Whine'O'matic .. I like that I'll spring that on my Running Buddy while we're in New Mexico.
I thought all those stock ford pump were some design of Thompson.
... But I'm sure having trouble fixing it's whine . & My stock pump flips the Belt over .. It want run 100 miles & it'll flip ... I've checked it myself.. Even put a 36'' straight edge on it.
.. It looks to be straight .. So I went to the wrecking yard . & gave $40.00 for a pump that had a double pulley on it . I went home & it bolted right on perfectly..
... I put a new pair of belts on it .. GUESS WHAT ..One of the belts Would tighten up but the other was very loose. So I got to checking & One of my WATER PUMP PULLEYS is deeper than the other one.
So one belt ran tight & other was too loose.
..So I put the Single belt On the new location .. IT TOO FLIPPED OVER IN A FEW DAYS. & Squeals or Whines ..
......... So is there any W/P PULLEY I CAN GET THAT HAS THE SAME SIZE GROOVES
... Mine has 2 groves for 3/8 belts & one for 7/16 or 1/2.
.. Even a chrome Bolt together pulley .. I don't want to spend that much but I've walked the Junk yard twice .. & Only got home with one pulley just like I had.
... I WAS LOOKING FOR DINK DONK to see what he had to say.