• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Double Roller Timing Chain

cekautsky

Loc.
Alta Loma, CA
Hello All,
Is there enough clearance behind the stock aluminum timing case cover on a 302 to fit a typical double roller timing chain?
Thanks,
CK

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
yes, here is mine.

Attachments

• 302 assambley 008.jpg
    302 assambley 008.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 94

dprio34

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Yes. But many claim if you have a stock cam, you are probably throwing your money away. My stock chain is double, just not roller.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I started with a 351 PI when an engine transplant was needed. To my surprise, they came with a roller chains with straight up timing. The OE 289-302s had a nylon cam sprocket that that will disintegrate and needs to be replaced as soon as any repair includes a water pump or timing chain cover removal. A roller chain set is the obvious choice for the replacement.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Roller chains are good for high rpm's, but do eventually stretch with use. If you're not spinning it up that tight and don't really want to pull it apart again at some point in the future then have a look at a Morse type "silent chain" kit.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
There is narrow chain and wide chain. Make sure you use the right fuel pump cam with the chain you choose to use. Narrow chains use a wider pump cam. Mix this up with a wider chain and the pump cam will rub on the back of the timing cover.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The nylon coated aluminum cam sprocket that was OE on my '77 302 was described as a silent sprocket. Is that what your talking about? If so, that POS disintegrated in less than 100,000 mi. To repair it, required pulling the pan and cleaning the pickup screen where the nylon pieces ended up. The roller chain has more miles and I can see no evidence of the cam timing being retarded.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Again make sure the new chain crank sprocket is the same thickness as the stock sprocket. I have found that the racing chains are wider which means you will get the engine together and the water pump pulley will not line up with the crank pulley. The thicker sprocket moves the harmonic balancer about .100" forward. Not a real problem with v-belts but serpentine belts will not like it. You could make a spacer to move the water pump pulley forward.

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Also, check for clearance between top gear and cam retaining plate.. Can get ugly. Didn't let timing gear seat properly, therefore after about 6 hours running time, bolt backed out.....:cool:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That definitely is ugly!
Roller chains are relatively inexpensive for what you get. I've seen cheap sets for as low as 30 bucks. Even "good" sets from known manufacturers like Cloyse or Ford Racing are typically under 70 or so. At least they were last time I checked!

They do stretch, but so do hy-vo (sp?) silent-types. Never noticed more or less stretch, but felt better knowing I had full metal gears and a double roller chain in all my builds. Not that many compared to many of you, but have had good luck with them

If you find a standard silent type with all metal gears too (like many trucks, police cars and other HD applications got from the factory) that's good quality at a decent price, no reason I can think of not to use that either.

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
RockAuto has stock replacement timing sets for '87 5.8 PI engines. They are Cloyes C3057K roller type for$22.79. The timing chain cover is the same as the ones on 289-302 EB engines. I kept it and the oil pan when I did my 351 swap. The same timing set is used on 351 '87 up F250-E250 and larger trucks. They were chosen by the factory over the silent type for longevity and reliability. None of these are high revving engines. Go to any major parts suppliers and look it up yourself.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
That's interesting because the engine shop that I used to do a lot of fab work for used Morse type chains for any of the lower performance builds in all of the Big 3 brands, unless the owner specifically asked for a double roller. The shop saw better life out of the Morse chains (with all metal gears - no nylon) with fewer fitment issues.

They build a huge number of 460's for one industrial customer (300+ last that I knew) and those all get Morse type chains. The early engines got double rollers and they didn't last as long.

Run what you want, but don't be misled by the "racer's use these, they must be good" kind of thinking.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru