• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dream garage

jlylec

If you could build your realistic, dream garage in your backyard to work on your EB what would the dimensions be and what special considerations would you make?

My family needs a shed and I've decided I'm going to overbuild the shed into a garage/shed that will house my EB and tools. Concrete floor and high ceilings so if I get real lucky I can maybe put a small lift in there too! Trying to figure out a good size right now and I'm sure I'll forget something important during the planning phase. I figure you guys have so much experience you'll have some great ideas. Any are welcome. Thanks!

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Atleast a 2 bay garage. 1 bay with a 2 post lift & the other bay to work on the floor. High enough ceilings for an overhead chain hoist with transum to go to both bays. 220V power for welder. Plenty of bench space all around the walls with overhead cabinets/ storage. Air compressor system plumbed throughout with 2 retractable air hoses permanently mounted, 1 in each bay. Fully insulated with heat and A/C so it's comfortable to work in year round! You can never have too many power outlets either. GOOD lighting as well.

u10072

Bronco Guru
50x50 would be about perfect 72 x 65 is the king based on a friend of mines place.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have a 36x60 its too small

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Joe Lebowitcz (Sp?),who used to live outside Austin and now lives in Oregon, had what I consider the ideal Garage Mahal! I don't know the dimensions, but he could fit three Bronco in a row along one side, with benches and tool boxes along the left wall. It was a drive through design, if I remember correctly. The right side had a two post lift and could accomodate one Bronco. Also on the right were the stairs leading to the metal grate loft over the back half of the garage. I doubt I will ever have the money for something like this, but a man can always dream. Maybe he or someone else will pipe in with the dimensions.

HELLFIRE

Loc.
West Monroe, LA
This....

b0fae305.jpg

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Size dont matter to me!:p We have built a ton of stuff in my parents 2 car garage, although a extra 10 feet both ways would be nice. If your clean and organized then you dont need a huge garage. My dream garage would have a lift, heat, and air! Who cares about the rest! Oh and maybe taller garage doors (10'?).

EDIT: Oh and definatly a helicopter landing pad!%)

Last edited:

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Atleast a 2 bay garage. 1 bay with a 2 post lift & the other bay to work on the floor. High enough ceilings for an overhead chain hoist with transum to go to both bays. 220V power for welder. Plenty of bench space all around the walls with overhead cabinets/ storage. Air compressor system plumbed throughout with 2 retractable air hoses permanently mounted, 1 in each bay. Fully insulated with heat and A/C so it's comfortable to work in year round! You can never have too many power outlets either. GOOD lighting as well.

X2 on about all of that. Make every outlet a 4 plex and radiant floor heat, heats the whole place instead of just the ceiling, and decent ventilation if your doing welding. If your going wood frame, seal at the floor so welding and cutting berries don't ignite the walls, they can smolder unnoticed for hours.

Jim W.

fattlarry

Loc.
St. Anthony, Idaho
I have a 30X40. It's not large enough. I have lots of storage space, 220, heat, fans, and lots of tools as well as work tables, etc. I am almost out of room and need more. THe next space will be 60x100 with 16 foot ceiling and 14 foot doors.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
building this one now .. its a 55'x92' Garage addition !

ALL @ new FL building code
FBC / ASCE 07-10 / Wind speed 160mph / exposure "C"

Attachments

• DSCN3788.jpg
    DSCN3788.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCN3789x.jpg
    DSCN3789x.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN3801.jpg
    DSCN3801.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCN3802.jpg
    DSCN3802.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN3803.jpg
    DSCN3803.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN3805.jpg
    DSCN3805.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCN3812.jpg
    DSCN3812.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN3809.jpg
    DSCN3809.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN5095.jpg
    DSCN5095.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN5097.jpg
    DSCN5097.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN5099.jpg
    DSCN5099.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN5103.jpg
    DSCN5103.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
additional:

trusses are designed 16" O.C. w. 17'-4" flat top for helicopter landing pad !! ;D :cool:

Attachments

• annutruss.JPG
    annutruss.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN5098.jpg
    DSCN5098.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 70

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
HOLY SHIT BATMAN! The rich keep getting richer and the poor just drool! Thats a manshion! I cant even afford to pay attention!!! Im happy with my section 8 townhome, and the only thing i own of any value is my bronco..... and a bad ass ice house! Hell i dont even have a bank account!

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
additional:

trusses are designed 16" O.C. w. 17'-4" flat top for helicopter landing pad !! ;D :cool:

I'm wondering how many kilo's a guy has to import and distribute to pay for something like that :eek:

That's amazing.

OP
OP
J

jlylec

this is about spot on to what i'm planning. while i'd love a huge garage and agree bigger is better, i can't really afford the real estate or money on anything much bigger than a 2 car garage...with some extra cushion on the edges. how high do you guys think the ceiling should be? that's my toughest part because i basically need to build a single story building that looks like a small house but works like a garage with liftable space in it.

OP
OP
J

jlylec

X2 on about all of that. Make every outlet a 4 plex and radiant floor heat, heats the whole place instead of just the ceiling, and decent ventilation if your doing welding. If your going wood frame, seal at the floor so welding and cutting berries don't ignite the walls, they can smolder unnoticed for hours.

Jim W.

good call on the radiant heat...i'm also going to run conduit through the concrete so i can future proof the garage a bit for running different wiring etc later on.

it is going to be wood frame. what should i seal the floor with and how high up around the edges? 8"?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
depends if you want to be able to lift a vehicle high enough to park another under it or not. Otherwise id just find out how tall a lift is and go from there. If no lift in the plans then id say 12'-14' ceiling height. You could always use some vaulted trusses to get more room in the middle. Or use storage trusses and build a steep set of stairs. That way you can have a ton of out of the way storage.

OP
OP
J

jlylec

depends if you want to be able to lift a vehicle high enough to park another under it or not. Otherwise id just find out how tall a lift is and go from there. If no lift in the plans then id say 12'-14' ceiling height. You could always use some vaulted trusses to get more room in the middle. Or use storage trusses and build a steep set of stairs. That way you can have a ton of out of the way storage.

why would i need 12-14' if NO lift is in the plans? That's kinda the height i was thinking i'd need WITH a lift! I would like to get some attic storage. Maybe have a section right over the lift with vaulted trusses and storage trusses everywhere else.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I'm not talking like making it waterproof or anything. If you sheetrock, just put molding at the floor, paint and caulk the gap so nothing can get under it. You just don't want hot berries getting to the wood.

Jim W.