• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drive shaft dust shield

mtnbiker2010

Loc.
Grand Rapids MI
Well, I was having a rattling noise that I could track down, so I drove it to my father-in-laws and was going to work on it later in the day. I got back and he had been "helpful" :-X and found the rattle and took care of it. What it was is the shield on the rear end of the drive shaft, it broke loose and he JB welded it to the rear end rather than to the drive shaft. My question is how screwed am I? It isn't touching the shaft so it should be ok. Would you guys try and change it immediately or just live with it the way it is?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You've got to post a pic of that. I've never heard of one either.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If your talking about the metal dust/dirt shield on the pinion yoke then I would say your probably ok as long as its not rubbing against the yoke. although it should have been JB welded to the yoke not the housing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There's also the screw-on ring and seal that fits over the sliding area near the splines. Is that what you meant?
Then again, some aftermarket shafts had bellows type boots over that area. I use shock boots on mine in the same capacity.

Now that I re-read it though, it sounds like the little round end-cap with the bleed hole that is in the end of the shaft under the yoke, like broncnaz mentioned.
If that's the case, then no, it should NOT be JB welded to the rear end. It should be JB welded (or other method?) back into the hold in the end of the driveshaft which is where it popped out of.
If you've recently added grease to the splined part of the shaft, then excess grease might have caused it to pop out when the suspension was cycling.

That sound about right?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And to answer your other question, you're not necessarily screwed at all. Depends on if you've driven it much and if dirt, water or other crud, has gotten into the cavity.
If in doubt, pull the two halves of the shaft apart, clean them throughly, re-grease it and put it all back together. WITH the cap back in it's original spot of course.

Paul

OP
OP
M

mtnbiker2010

Loc.
Grand Rapids MI
Thanks for the replies it is the slightly cone shaped object at the end of the drive shaft that is just in front of the rear diff. I assume it keeps dust and crud out of the seal for the rear end. I do understand that it was supposed to be connected to the drive shaft but as I eluded to I had someone try to be helpful when I wasn't there. Nice but frustrating also, since I would have hopefully noticed that it should be connected to the drive shaft and not the rear end. Since this is mostly a road vehicle and sometimes a simple two track, will I be sorry if I don't change it?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, still sounds a bit strange. Like we're not all talking about the same thing.
If it's the little shield that I'm talking about, yes, you have to put it back where it came from so it can continue to keep crud out of the splines of the shaft.
If, however, it's actually the "slinger" on the yoke of the differential (attached to the driveshaft, but not actually part of it) then no, it should stay put where it is. That would indeed cause a ringing/rattling sound if it came loose.
Is this thingy in front of, or behind the u-joint?

Paul

OP
OP
M

mtnbiker2010

Loc.
Grand Rapids MI
It is definitely behind them and originally just about 1/2 inch from the rear end. If I can get a digital camera (mine crapped out) I will try to take a pic.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pics are always helpful, but that's the slinger you're talking about and you're not screwed as long as it's spinning along with the differential yoke (attached to the driveshaft) and not glued to the non-spinning part of the diff housing.
Either way, you're definitlely not screwed. It just normally spins with the driveshaft.
I think there's a little mis-understanding about where the shaft ends and the rear end begins though. Just so you know, the "yoke" (the "Y" part attached to, but behind the u-joint) is actually considered part of the rear end and does not come off with the driveshaft.
The yoke end of the driveshaft is the "Y" part attached to, but on the shaft side of the u-joint.
The u-joint is the link that is between the two parts. So anything between the u-joint and transfer case (or transmission on a 2wd) is part of the driveshaft. Anything between the u-joint and the differential is part of the differential or rear end.

Clear as mud?

Paul

OP
OP
M

mtnbiker2010

Loc.
Grand Rapids MI
That definitely helps, I am just a moron sometimes so it is definitely not your explanation that could confuse me. I still may try to post a pic but I guess that yes it is part of the rear end. I guess I will try to break the JB weld that was applied to the pumpkin and "shield" and try to weld it to the spinning yoke of the rear end. Thanks again.

Mark

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool. But I'd say before you go to any trouble (assuming it's all working ok now) like breaking loose and re-welding, shoot some pics so we can just verify what we've only been surmising over long distances.

At least it's not a piece that's going to leave you on the side of the road. It's main function is to keep crap away from the seal when it gets thrown up while driving. I probably shouldn't have called it a "slinger" since it's more of a basic "shield" instead. Not sure what it's exact name is. Probably just "dust shield" like you said originally.
Just make sure that the yoke is able to spin freely inside it and it's not wearing a groove into the shank! That'd leave a mark...

Paul