• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drop trac bar bracket needed? Pulls to right with heavy braking

OP
OP
M

marcussly27

Contributor
Don't think we have an arm that has a full 4" of drop over a stock one. Stock is slightly angled too (just barely, but still a bit) so I think it's closer to 3" of actual drop.
That's just from memory though. A year or two ago I sat several arms side by side with a tape measure and posted it up here. Maybe someone can find the old photos.

Paul

Thanks for the response. Looks like your drop pitman arm is 3.5 inches of drop from center to center. You're drop trac bracket is 4 inches from my understanding. So they won't be perfect but 0.5 inches shouldn't matter correct? JBGs drop trac bracket is also 4 inches. Love your products, I just like the savings on shipping costs since JBG is so close with me being in Michigan :)

PS - I just picked up your lower steering shaft. You guys make great products!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks! Definitely appreciate the support, especially from afar.
Definitely understand the savings on shipping for certain things.

In a case such as a part of this size, we like to use USPS Priority. Costs you half as much (typically) and gets there twice as fast (typically) compared to UPS.
When shipping to a nearby location, the time savings is minimal, but the farther away the customer is the bigger the difference.
Two days to anywhere in the country is fantastic! Though sometimes UPS is less expensive as the weight and size goes up of course.

Just so you know you have options.
Good luck dialing in the little details.

Paul

OP
OP
M

marcussly27

Contributor
Yes. Like Todd said, I don't see any reason you'd necessarily want a TRO on yours unless there is just no other way to correct your angles. So a riser is not as desirable.
But for now at least, with something between a 2.5 and 3.5 inch lift, you aren't in that arena yet. The drops are typically optimized for a 3.5" lift, but will work just fine with 2.5 in most cases.

So yes, a heavy duty drop, when installed properly, is a good option. Just make sure whichever one you get has at least close to the same drop as your pitman arm.
Some of the nicer looking ones don't have enough drop for a 3.5 inch lift, or even enough to match the pitman arms. Most do however, so it's not hard to find one that will match.

By the way, just out of curiosity have you measured the rear yet? Distance between the frame and axle is approximately 6" when stock, so you would expect 8.5 for that 2.5" lift.
Just curious.

Paul

Forgot to get back to you on this question regarding the rear axle. It measures right at 9 inches, and the front at 10. With a stock height of 7 in the front and 6 in the rear, my 2.5 lift actually is closer to 3 inches... right? Weird that it would be taller. Probably just the springs needing to settle?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, not too weird or uncommon. More common in the rear leaf springs though, as the coils typically settle in right away.
But starting a little bit high is no problem. It's something we should all hope for in fact!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, I forgot to add, that because these numbers we throw around are always close approximations, your half inch discrepancy is right within the range. So your "3" lift might actually have been an actual "2.5" lift, but unless you measured your specific Bronco before the lift, there's no way to tell what you actually got.
And before the lift, with it being decades old, there's no way to tell if yours was even sitting at it's original height anyway.

So half an inch is really nothing much to even discuss too deeply when it comes right down to it.

Paul