• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dual Electric Wiper Set Up?

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I have a 1976 Bronco. I'm thinking about doing the dual electric wiper setup I recently saw in a Velocity Bronco.

It looks like there are 2 vendor options. One that syncs and one that doesn't. Curious if non-syncing also means that wiper parking will be off as well.

Toms version ($289) does not synch but includes wiper arms, wiring harness, etc. Note that the included new wiper arms are required.

Wild Horses version ($400) has a sync option for about $400 but does not include wipers, harness, etc but it looks like you can reuse the stock wiper blades. The sync function is built into the switch which looks like a marine-style rocker which requires cutting the dash. I'm not sure if the Velocity Bronco I saw uses the WH kit but the it looks like the same rocker.

I'm not really wild about either of these options, Tom's doesn't sync and WH requires cutting in the Rocker switch.

Thoughts? Thank you.

Last edited:

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Assuming you're replacing a vacuum system? Personally I would go with the non-sync version and set it up with 2 switches. This will then function (each independently) like the original vacuum system. I'm probably in the minority but when I drove a 69 Bronco as my daily driver (years ago!) I liked the ability to operate each side independently. They should park fine.

EDIT: I now see in your signature that you've got a 76. In that case I would go with the Wild Horses system! To install the Tom's system that does not sync you would need to re-drill the WS frame hole and move it over to prevent wiper blade interference. Or use really short arms!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just out of curiosity, why are you getting rid of the factory electric wipers? Don’t like it, or does your bronco not have the original set up?

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
You can technically operate the dual motors with a stock switch. Just need to add two diodes in series with each motor so that they will park correctly. They won't synchronize while on, but at least park correctly. This also will work with a later model Ford intermittant switch.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Just out of curiosity, why are you getting rid of the factory electric wipers? Don’t like it, or does your bronco not have the original set up?
I have the existing 1976 factory set up, modified for the soft top, including the cover. Really just cleaning up the interior and trying to get a little bit more drivability in rain / snow. I did add the intermittent capability a few years ago. Thx

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I have the existing 1976 factory set up, modified for the soft top, including the cover. Really just cleaning up the interior and trying to get a little bit more drivability in rain / snow. I did add the intermittent capability a few years ago. Thx
Other than cleaning up the interior linkage, you don't gain any functionality with the dual motor setup over the stock setup you have. My preference is for the stock setup. I changed mine from the dual motor setup to a stock electric setup on my '68.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you did that, did you drill a new hole in the windshield frame to alter the spacing to match the later linkage? Or did you modify the linkage to fit the existing holes?

amfw

Other than cleaning up the interior linkage, you don't gain any functionality with the dual motor setup over the stock setup you have. My preference is for the stock setup. I changed mine from the dual motor setup to a stock electric setup on my '68.
To each his own, of course. Cleaning up the interior linkage was more than enough motivation for me. With no hardtop it feels better to have less weight up top there flapping around and the wiper cover always seemed really in my face given the already short profile of the windshield frame. The wiper arm swap was definitely an upgrade.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
When you did that, did you drill a new hole in the windshield frame to alter the spacing to match the later linkage? Or did you modify the linkage to fit the existing holes?
The windshield frame was replaced with the newer electric style.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Good info here, thx. I wish this was a straightforward decision. Unsynchronized doesn't work for me. The rocker doesn't look horrible but it doesn't look good either!

Attachments

• E2617BFF-014D-45E5-B15B-C6C57F404277.jpeg
    E2617BFF-014D-45E5-B15B-C6C57F404277.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 35

amfw

Good info here, thx. I wish this was a straightforward decision. Unsynchronized doesn't work for me. The rocker doesn't look horrible but it doesn't look good either!
The way I outlined above uses a stock knob and the wipers are Synchronized.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
To each his own, of course. Cleaning up the interior linkage was more than enough motivation for me. With no hardtop it feels better to have less weight up top there flapping around and the wiper cover always seemed really in my face given the already short profile of the windshield frame. The wiper arm swap was definitely an upgrade.

X2....