• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duraspark II which wire to delete? HARNESS AND NEW BOX DONE

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I have run D-S II's with and without the OEM resistor wire in their power supply wire. Two different vehicles set-up this way, both started out with yellow top oil filled coils. The first conversion I did in '89 and no one could tell me for sure then if the coil needed the resistor or not. Err'd on the side of caution and left it there even though the relevant wiring diagrams did not indicate a resistor of any sort. With the second vehicle it had been running with the resistance wire for a couple of years when I decided to clean up that whole loom and deleted it. Car still ran just fine. No detectable difference. Later, when I converted it to an AOD I also put in the trans donor's E-core coil. Still no difference, ran for another couple of years on the E-coil with no resistor or resistance wire before I sold it.

Based on those two experiences I am going to make the leap and say that the D-S II modules are current limiting.

jckkys, that was uncalled for. You started it whether you'll admit it or not and AFAIC you got what was coming to you. Viper and Dirtdonk have put way more time and effort into their presence on this forum than just about everyone else.
STRONGLY suggest that you take a little self-imposed vacation for a few days.

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
Been a while since I ran my DS setup, but if I remember correctly, the module needs a good ground, more knowledgeable people will know better.
Any particular reason to mount it in the cab?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
No ground needed at the module, it's what the black wire going to the dist. does, ground the system at the distributor. Some OEM installs that I've come across in the JY's have the module mounted on a plastic fender liner.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Been a while since I ran my DS setup, but if I remember correctly, the module needs a good ground, more knowledgeable people will know better.
Any particular reason to mount it in the cab?
To keep it away from any heat source, and easy to change if needed. So far its worked great till my old harness gave me trouble, so I decided to switch it to the blue box, and make a new harness.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Here is the final set up, I had to use a ballast resistor with the blaster ss coil PN 8207, tried to run it on 12 to 14 volts, it started right up and ran for 5 minutes, then it shut off. Restarted it and would only run for a few seconds then shut off. So I rigged my old resistor in and it ran great, 8.8 volts at coil. So I pick up the MSD 0.8 ohm ballast resistor (MSD PN 8214) and installed it and finished the harness , now I get 9.9 to 10 volts at coil and it runs great. To do the hole job, harness and getting a new box, it was about 180.00 plus change still cheaper than buying a after market harness. Here are some more pic's of finish job.;D

Attachments

• DSCN0953.jpg
    DSCN0953.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0954.jpg
    DSCN0954.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0955.jpg
    DSCN0955.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN0950.jpg
    DSCN0950.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN0949.jpg
    DSCN0949.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Hey Paul, here are the pics of the old harness to distributor and new harness to distributor and the distributor. I did change it from the smaller cap to the big cap, plus changed the vacuum advance ,from the double to the single hoes hook up.

Attachments

• DSCN0957.jpg
    DSCN0957.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN0960.jpg
    DSCN0960.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN0962.jpg
    DSCN0962.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 45

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always liked those big Ford Racing wires. Very purposeful looking.

Paul

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Nicely done.

So we now know for sure to follow the factory Ford recommendation for resistor value or at a minimum the coil manufacturers recommendation on paper and not necessarily the "tech" that answers the phone and says " hey bro' it's all good" you don't need no resistor with that.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Nicely done.

So we now know for sure to follow the factory Ford recommendation for resistor value or at a minimum the coil manufacturers recommendation on paper and not necessarily the "tech" that answers the phone and says " hey bro' it's all good" you don't need no resistor with that.
It seems like it's more and more that way. Here's the bronco running, audio not great,;D but she's alive.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s9qnRu2mH0

Last edited:

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
With a Ford coil I doubt that you'd need the resistor at all. I had both an "yellow top" and an E-coil live for many years without one.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
With a Ford coil I doubt that you'd need the resistor at all. I had both an "yellow top" and an E-coil live for many years without one.
I don't know why ,but the msd blaster ss coil did not like the full 12 to 14 volts.Had to use their ballast resistor, and it run fine now. The resistor knock's it down to 10 volts, with the 12 to 14 volts , the coil got really hot.