• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EB-based racer for the Baja 1000 this coming weekend

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I may have posted pics of this truck under construction on the forum before - I can't recall. In any case - just in time for this year's Baja 1000, Chris Wilson and Glen Straightiff will be racing their lengthened/widened "early Bronco" in the Baja 1000 this weekend. Chris is the son of forum member "PaulW" on this forum and he and Glen restored our Stroppe "Red Racer" and raced it in NORRA in 2010.

Racing the Stroppe bit them both hard so they decided to build a Bronco racer for themselves. They're both "gofast" kinda guys though so they settled on an early '90s Bronco running gear with a lengthened and widened Early Bronco body to sit on top of it. This allows them to use parts like modified TTB with coilovers, bypasses, and a 427 FRPP small block backed by a C6/205.

They have done an incredible job building the truck over the past couple of years and have a versatile rig that can race Class 3 or Class 8 in SCORE, race in vintage races in several classes, and is also street legal! Chris intends to take it to Easter Jeep Safari next year, car shows, etc. Truly a versatile rig.

Those of you who race know it's always down to the wire to get the rig done and I just got these pics last night of the painted body panels installed on the truck. They head to Baja today or tomorrow.

I think they did a great job on it and have incorporated a lot of nice design features on it with an eye towards preserving as much of the classic lines as possible.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 443
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 441
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 431
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 400
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 420

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I'll bet those rear quarters don't make it across the finish line. lol. Beautiful truck and a awesome job on the build.

House

Minutia Militia
WOW, that is nice!
I think they should let you and Andrew race it a bit like you guys did for them...! ;)

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
WOW, that is nice!
I think they should let you and Andrew race it a bit like you guys did for them...! ;)

:). I'd be too scared to drive it in a race - my savings account and credit card and 401K and..... would never recover if I wrecked it.

That being said, Chris has told me that we can certainly take it for a drive sometime if we'd like to - after all, we let them thrash our baby for 1000 miles in Baja a few years ago!

Todd Z.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the bar lights integrated into the hood is interesting.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I think the bar lights integrated into the hood is interesting.

Chris and Co. went round and round on that. At first they were working on getting them integrated into the wing and had a few other ideas and eventually went with them in the front of the hood opening area.

Their LEDs are by Baja Designs, which are regarded as the best LED off road lights out there by racers who have to pay for their own lights...

Todd Z.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Thats one cool looking Bronco. Trophy trucks wish they were half as cool!

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
A few years back 86,87..A Class 5 1600.....finished..12 place in class....TWO YEARS BACK TO BACK....WE SPENT TWO YEARS TO BUILD THE CAR....THEN I BROKE MY BACK....ARG&%$:....ANYWAY....THE CAR STILL FINISHED THE BAJA 1000....TWICE! !!,,

rbodine

I'm digging the exhaust exit before rear wheel, I snapped a pic of that, gonna consider it for my build.

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Awesome. Hope they give the Moss Bros. run for their money. They've dominated Class 3 for some time now.

bigjhoov

nobody
Interesting. They racing this weekend? Only the 300 an 301 are currently registered. Class 3 legal?