• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EB Newbie

RenoBuc

Loc.
Reno, NV
I've been 'lurking' for the last month and a half since I purchased a 1971. You guys have an amazing amount of bronco knowledge.

The Ride: She is a 6 cyl 170 with 3 speed. No significant rust other than the hood. New WH seats and interior has been coated. She doesn't have a top or a roll ball. Wells have been cut.

The Plan: I'm hoping to convert her into something that can easily be driven several times a week to/from work. I wanted to keep the 6 cylinder, but the lack of transmission options and the fact the wife wanted an automatic forced me to go with the swap (and she leaked quite a bit of oil and couldn't pass smog - the truck not the wife). I elected to go with a mild rebuild on the 302 (bored, new cam, new intake, etc.) Purchased a rebuilt AOD with conversion kit and had the tranny guy go ahead and sandwich it to the t-case (less things for me to screw up). So far, I've got the tranny hung in place with a conversion crossmember from Tom's. The next step is to cut out the old motor mounts and weld the new ones further aft.

I would attach a pic, but not sure how to do so. If anyone has done the AOD swap, please let me know as I'm sure I'll have questions during hook-up. Thanks for your time.
Dan

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
welcome aboard.several on here have done the aod 4r70w and other swaps.go to main page,see advertisments on right side.scrool down to become a contribuitor,follow inst.

W650Mike

Loc.
Eastland, Texas
Welcome from another Newbie! One of the neat things about this site is that pics, plans, and progress reports are considered sharing - not showing off. Not that there's anything wrong with a little showing off!

OP
OP
R

RenoBuc

Loc.
Reno, NV
Here's a pic. Obviously tires/wheels will be soon to follow.....and paint!

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 41

tmacstickman

Welcome to the site.

And I'm glad to hear that your wife does not leak oil and pass smog!

JohnnyRocket

welcome fello new man I have had my bronco only two weeks and cant stop working on it, tons of fun coming your way

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Glad to have you, the more the merrier. You'll find this site is the best tool you can get for your Bronco, and it looks like you have a pretty good starting point there. Just plan on spending a lot of money!

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
Welcome to the site. X2 on the knowledge. These guys are awsome. Very knowledgable and dont make you feel stupid. Feel free to ask questions and reap the benefits of the many bronco guru's.

OP
OP
R

RenoBuc

Loc.
Reno, NV
I'm guessing Reno, but I've been wrong before!

Welcome to CB and to early Broncos! ;D

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!!
Yea, lived in Reno For 6 yrs. Originally Tampa. As for the $, tell me about it. Between the rebuilt 302 and AOD. The wallet is taking a beating!! Will be well worth it in the end though.;D