• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Efi / 4r70w ecu?

MattC

Im in the process of gathering all the pieces to do an Explorer swap. I have 1996 complete motor and a 1999 4R70W. I could swear that in my hours of reading threads that I read that there was a F150 ECU that could handle both. I can't find the thread. I know the Optishift and a mustang ECU will do the job but money's tight and I would rather spend it on a Black Box.
Is this just wishful thinking?

OP
OP
M

MattC

Both were 5.0 / 4r70w Explorers. I got the 96 motor because it was the last year of GT heads. I didn't want to deal with difficult headers on the GTP heads. The 4R is a 99 because FORD upgraded in 98 and newer.

I did find that thread by searching "1995 f150 ECU". http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139662
But it doesn't say if anyone got it to work. And it referenced a list of 5.0 compatible ECUs. I think it's the Fordfuelinjection site witch with my luck is down because of the Ford nazis and their lawyers. I swear they won't be happy till everyone is buying a new car every three years.
Sorry... Got a little off topic. It's just frustrating.

OP
OP
M

MattC

I believe the cut off date for OBD1 ECUs is 93 but the F150 ran OBD1 longer. Till 95 apparently. The 96 and 99 Explorers are OBD2 witch sound like I would need to be an electrical engineer to get running

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Yes, F-series were EEC-IV through '95. OBD-II isn't wired significantly differently from EEC-IV; the changes are inside the PCM. If you get the whole engine wiring harness with the engine, it'll be no different than wiring an EEC-IV harness.

nickm

Loc.
South Houston
Hey Steve,
how much you looking to get for one of those? It might be worth it just to try, if it aint too expensive.

OP
OP
M

MattC

Is EEC-IV the same to wire as the typical fox mustang ECU/ harness conversion. What I saw about the OBD II conversion is that it required lots of extra sensors and using the stock gauge cluster.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is EEC-IV the same to wire as the typical fox mustang ECU/ harness conversion. What I saw about the OBD II conversion is that it required lots of extra sensors and using the stock gauge cluster.

Close. I believe there are a few differences.

Typical truck EEC is batch fired (4 injectors fired at a time controlled by 2 channels in the EEC) while the car is SEFI (computer fires each injector seperatly so 8 computer outputs for injectors) but that shouldn't matter with the '95 as I believe that they finally went SEFI on the trucks by the time the finally went MAF.

I would love to pull the EEC pinouts but the best source of info is out of comossion right now (www.fordfuelinjection.com). But it is well known that there are differences in EEC pinouts between various makes and models. If you know what the differences are it isn't that hard to swap pins at the EEC connector.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Is EEC-IV the same to wire as the typical fox mustang ECU/ harness conversion.
Yes, those Mustangs were EEC-IV.
What I saw about the OBD II conversion is that it required lots of extra sensors and using the stock gauge cluster.
No. The instrument cluster isn't necessary up to ~'04, and that's only because of the anti-theft function. There are very few additional sensors: a downstream oxygen sensor or 2 (4 wires each), and maybe a misfire sensor (2 wires) or VSS. But again: if you use the stock wiring harness for the donor engine/trans, it doesn't matter even if you get a COP engine. The wires are already there with the correct connectors. You just hook up power & ground to the EEC, and it works just like it did in its original installation.
I would love to pull the EEC pinouts...
Hey Steve, how much you looking to get for one of those?
E-mail me (not PM) thru my profile.

OP
OP
M

MattC

Sooo... I can use the harness and ECU out of a Explorer? If so of course they would have to be a 5.0 / 4r70w. Any ideas of what years? What about ignition systems? Stock Explorer or TBI dizzy?

OP
OP
M

MattC

I'm tearing up the web trying to research this swap. Found a thread on Explorer forum. This guy is swapping a 1997 Explorer 5.0 / 4R complete into a Ranger. He posted this harness pin list. Just figured I'd repost it here just in case someone needs it.

Picture of this harness will be added:::::::::::

97 Explorer Engine Harness C115F

Pin #----Circuit/Color------Function-------------------New Location on 92 Cab
1----- 16(R/LG)----------Igntion Coils +12VPower-----
2----- 11(T/Y) ----------Tachometer-----------------
3----- 915 (PK/LB)-------data link connector---------Run new wire to cab to CheckPort
4-----511 (LG)-----------brake On/OFF switch input---
5-----238 (DG/Y)--------Fuel Pump Monitor input------
6-----658 (Pk/Lg)-------Malfunction Indicator Lamp---
7-----679 (GY/BK)------Vehicle Speed Sensor Input---
8-----37 (Y)-----------Keep Alive Power (B+)---------
9-----361 (R)----------Power (VPWR)----------------
10----29(Y/W)---------Fuel Pump Sendor Input-------
11----914(T/O)--------data link connector-----------Run new wire to cab to CheckPort
12----224(T/W)-------transmission OD control switch-
13----676 (Pk/O)------Case Ground------------------
14----91 (P/W)--------Canister Vent Solenoid--------
15----926(LB/O)-------Fuel Pump relay control-------
16----39(R/W) --------engine collant temp sensor----
17----791(R/Pk)-------Fuel Tank pressure transducer-
18----359 (Gy/R)------Signal Return-----------------
19----351 (Br/W)------reference voltage------------
20----199 (LB/Y)------transmission range sensor----
21----140( BK/Pk)-----? Back up lamps?------------
22----107 (P)---------data link connector----------Run new wire to cab to CheckPort
23--------------------No wire present--------------
24----329 (PK)--------starter circuit----------------
25----298(P/O)--------?Backup Lamps?-------------
26----253 (DG/W)-----Oil pressure switch-----------
27----305 (Lb/Pk)-----Not used -will double check?--
28----394-(O/Bk)-----air suspension (Not used)-----
29--------------------No wire present--------------
30----331 (Pk/Y)------WOT A/C cut off-------------
31----32(R/Lb)--------starter circuit---------------
32--------------------No wire present-------------
33----463 (R/W)------Nuetral Sense SW (auto)----
34----570(Bk/W)------Ground---------------------Added ring and Grounded
35-------------------No wire present-------------
36----34(LB/O)------+12v for O2 and EGR sensors--
37----198(DG/O)-----AC high pressure cutoff sw input-
38-------------------No wire present----------------
39----191(LG/BK)----Vapor management Valve-------
40----911 (W/LG----Overdrive Control Ind Lamp------
41------------------No wire present-----------------
42----570 (Bk/W)----Ground------------------------Added Ring and Grounded

OP
OP
M

MattC

I've been doing more research. So far it looks like the Explorer is EEC-V and can be used. 1998 and newer included the PATs program which requires the gauges to be used. Their is a possibility that this can be disabled with a tuner (Tweecer / Quarterhorse). So I'm seriously thinking of going to the local JY that has a complete 1997 Explorer and pulling EEC, harness and as many other things as I can. If anyone has any suggestions please chime in.

Ranchtruck

I know there are EEC-IV ecu's for MAF 302's and 4r70w's from 94-95 F150's, BUG0's and HUG2's I believe. I was looking at a pair of them in the junkyard.

Some F150's could come with the e40d, so check the trans code before pulling the computer and harness.

Last edited:

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
PATS doesn't involve the cluster - it involves the original key (or at least the pill from the key head) and a pickup coil from the steering column going to the original PATS module that synchronized with that PCM. I ran into this when I rewired my '94 CV with a '00 engine/trans, and I solved it with a '99 police PCM (no PATS). That allowed me to use my '94 column (no pickup coil) & key (no PATS pill). You can get PATS turned off at the dealership, but they don't like doing it, even if there's a tech who knows how.

It's the later theft system ('04-up, IIRC) that checks the VIN coding in several modules, like the cluster.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I know there are EEC-IV ecu's for MAF 302's and 4r70w's from 94-95 F150's, BUG2's and HUG0's I believe. I was looking at a pair of them in the junkyard.

Some F150's could come with the e40d, so check the trans code before pulling the computer and harness.

Any particular F150 to look for this computer in? Every F150 I've looked at has an E4OD. I have yet to see an F150 with a 4R70W.

I posted the original thread 2 years ago, but never did anything with it. Seems like it was a non starter back then as no one had tried it. Good to see the some interest in this again.

AussieBronco

I remember someone on here did an EEC-V Efi conversion back in 08 and it seemed pretty complicated. Ignition barrel and key in the glovebox, tricking the ABS, etc. I did a brief search for it and couldn't find it but it would definitely be worth a read before you jumped into it.
Thanks Lindsay

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
PATS doesn't involve the cluster - it involves the original key (or at least the pill from the key head) and a pickup coil from the steering column going to the original PATS module that synchronized with that PCM. I ran into this when I rewired my '94 CV with a '00 engine/trans, and I solved it with a '99 police PCM (no PATS). That allowed me to use my '94 column (no pickup coil) & key (no PATS pill). You can get PATS turned off at the dealership, but they don't like doing it, even if there's a tech who knows how.

It's the later theft system ('04-up, IIRC) that checks the VIN coding in several modules, like the cluster.
Don't assume all Fords are the same as Crown Vics. I know Mustangs in the 90's had the PATS module inside the Dash cluster, and many other Fords are the same way. That stopped used car lots from swapping in low mileage odometers. Ford was using the old 2valve 4.6L in Crown Vics when the 3valve was in everything else.