• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI dies at stop with gear change

chuzie

Bronco Guru
'77 w/ 89 302HO EFI, C4, D20, 9" (4.56) and 35" tires.

I have never had a stalling issue in the past. Recently I changed my gearing to 4.56 from 3.50. Took it out a few weeks ago for the first time since the gearing change. Running through the trails, I would stall out when I came to a stop or even coasted up a whooptie doo and peaked (really slow).

It is not angle dependent and starts right back up with no issue at all.

I increased my idle from 700 to 1100 and it still stalls out. If I hit the gas just before it stalls, it will arrest the stall.

I wonder if my gearing change may have caused this issue. I need to call transtar and confirm what stall converter they sent me.

Any thoughts?

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
i didnt realize this was a serious issue when it happened at URE. curious to see some thoughts

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
No codes. Runs like a champ except when I am sitting vertically on a rock for longer than my 1 cup accumulator can support! :)

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
ya know...my motor was used with 1 tons,4sp, and 4.88's and c4,3.50's and now a 5sp with 3.50's. i really cant see how a gear change would or could affect the motor. could there be something wrong with the VSS??

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
VSS is hooked up. Throttle body was just cleaned but I can check the IAC and clean it. Again, no codes (KOEO, KOER, KOEM) so all the sensors are operating within range.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Does it run better with the MAF unplugged? Did you look for vacuum leaks?

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I will check for vac leaks tomorrow. Come to think of it, it has been dying immediately after start from time to time. That sounds like a vac issue.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I will take a look at the MAF, but I cleaned that sucker about two months ago.