• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI fuel line Type AN vs PTFE vs OEM Plastic (nylon)

OP
OP
C-Dubb

C-Dubb

Contributor
Looks pretty tight. I just checked one of my Swagelok fittings like the one Lars showed us and it's 0.785" across the points and ~0.685" across the flats. Assuming those are 3/8" tubes and you can slide the nut on and essentially 'lock' it in place while you thread the AN piece on, you'll need about 0.155" clearance under each tube for fitting clearance.

Todd Z.

Thanks for the dimensions, I will check the measurements tomorrow to see if something like that will work.

BanditBronco

I like the 5/16 bundy quick-connects. Then I can use a stock Ford efi fuel pump and filter. They will connect to nylon or rubber hoses, 5/16 or 3/8, just buy the right size.

I also used compression fittings to 6-AN for the steel line.

Super easy to change out a filter, pump, or replace a hose if needed.

dd5349f7338a78159a03f1cd969afbce.jpg
54b4e672b79c7754c538cb3ded84adf5.jpg
6d772055fbec57778e14b46b5b9af0f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I run that style fitting in aluminum that has a male AN fitting on the "hose" side. I forget the name of the shop in Havasu AZ that makes them. Honestly they haven't been as "quick disconnect" as I would like but they work well.

Are you sure those fittings are approved for use with rubber hose on efi pressure applications?

I like where your head is at, and I did not know about that filter which I also like. After seeing a rig burn to the ground from a loose fuel cell cap, I have been working on being super fire conscious.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Are you sure those fittings are approved for use with rubber hose on efi pressure applications?

I run a fuel line clamp on the high pressure Gates EFI hose with these quick connects. That hose is not coming off, it's hard to get new piece of hose off of one even without the clamp.

OP
OP
C-Dubb

C-Dubb

Contributor
A guy I work with had some AN fittings laying around so I borrowed a few to see if they might work. The clearance on the 3/8" line on the sending unit was too tight but I was able to bend it a little and now seems like it will work with a fitting. I am planning on using hardlines for the biggest part of this just haven't decided on what type yet. I will be routing them on the outside of the frame to keep them away from the exhaust. Will the AN tube adapters work on the Copper/Nickel tubing since it is supposed to be soft?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I used 2 HP hose clamps on each HP hose fitting (paranoid - right?)... if I'd known about these Swag fittings I would have used them w/o a doubt.

OP
OP
C-Dubb

C-Dubb

Contributor
I was thinking about using an AN Tube adapter (compression) to connect at the sending unit. Do these compression style fittings work with the higher pressures of an EFI system?

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
And if you are going to start making your own hard line with AN ends, you need one of these:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/flaringtools2.php

Sez the tool junkie.

:cool::cool::cool:

You and me, both.

I have this set and it works really well, but you need to mount it into a vise.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pro-brake-tubing-flaring-tool-with-45-and-37-degree-die-set.html

In hindsight, I wish I had just bought the hydraulic setup.
https://www.tooldiscounter.com/product/mastercool-universal-hydraulic-flaring-tool-set-mas72475

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I was thinking about using an AN Tube adapter (compression) to connect at the sending unit. Do these compression style fittings work with the higher pressures of an EFI system?

They do, but I am always worried about relying on frication alone when exposed to vibration and pressure.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You and me, both.

I have this set and it works really well, but you need to mount it into a vise.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pro-brake-tubing-flaring-tool-with-45-and-37-degree-die-set.html

In hindsight, I wish I had just bought the hydraulic setup.
https://www.tooldiscounter.com/product/mastercool-universal-hydraulic-flaring-tool-set-mas72475

I have the Mastercool set and it works great for 45 deg. double flares but it doesn't have the capability to do AN flares.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
C-Dubb

C-Dubb

Contributor
They do, but I am always worried about relying on frication alone when exposed to vibration and pressure.

Is there any other way to connect AN to my sending unit? It does not have a ridge for a quick connect either, PO had rubber hose with clamps for the entire fuel system.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Is there any other way to connect AN to my sending unit? It does not have a ridge for a quick connect either, PO had rubber hose with clamps for the entire fuel system.

Tube adaptor will probably work fine if you have the space for it and just want to get it done. I silver brazed fittings onto my fuel rail up on the engine. If you haven't done it before, it's just like soldering, but hotter and the materials are more expensive.

For example, you could braze an AN fitting onto the end of the tube. The tube and the fitting need to be perfectly clean and in really close tolerance, so make sure your tube is in good condition. Tube should be about .002" smaller than the receiving part on the fitting. But once they are brazed, it will never come off.
https://clearwaterhydraulics.com/mjic-braze-on-c-23_276_288_306_636/

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
BTW - If you don't feel comfortable brazing it, I bet there is a local welder or plumber that would do it for not that much money.

Digger556

View attachment 515333
Can anyone tell me if there are any type AN fittings will fit this sending unit. It looks a little tight to me, but do not have any fittings on me to try.

That's too tight for the Mastercool kit to put a fuel line push-connect flare on. You may be able to do a new AN bulkhead fitting like I did:

49190292476_3055a1ee9a_o.jpg

49190487737_eb27329364_o.jpg

49189791153_bef0e34188_o.jpg

I highly recommend the Mastercool hydraulic flaring kit. It's not cheap at $300, but you will use it for a lifetime on many repairs or builds. I bought the 37 degree flare kit to go with it. Very versatile.

For fuel lines, I recommend using stainless hardlines with the semi-rigid plastic OE style plastic lines with SAE push-connect fittings. They are pretty bullet proof and not expensive. The biggest expense was the flare tool.
50187223916_8c1dfbfa98_o.jpg

50186680003_113e63d4d4_o.jpg