• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Fuel Lines

pcaras

Brethren,

I installed a BC Broncos efi fuel line kit (hoses on the ends and hard lines in the middle). I pressurized the system but a few of the flare fittings are leaking.

My patience has worn out, as I've taken apart and put each fitting back together in hopes that the leak will stop.

I've finally decided to ditch the hard lines and put flexible hose in their place. What's the best hose for an efi system? Links to the product would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Pete

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
-Use a "Push on " hose. It is REALLY hard to push on too.
-Many companies make it but use a quality hose, no corner cutting with fuel lines.
-Talk to Chuck about his hard lines leaking, I am sure if you pay shipping back he'll take care of you.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Some of mine leaked too but I gave them a turn more than I thought I should and the leaks went way. They're tight.

Try taking them past snug.

Tim

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Just like new brake lines:
Tighten, loosen repeat three times. Should be seated and Leak free now.

OP
OP
P

pcaras

Okay i will give it one more shot and crank them past my comfort level.

In the meantime, keep the recommendations coming for the flex lines if I end up going that direction.

BroncoChicken

I would use Aeroquip for the PTFE. Whatever you decide, use the same brand of hose and fittings.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Gates also has a rubber fuel injection hose that has a ptfe liner in it the liner is blue in color … But I second what nickgp said tighten and loosen a few times ...even a lot of mechanical fuel pumps now a days take a little effort to get to seal at the fittings...GOOD LUCK.

MrT

I have a 25' spool of Gates Barricade 5/16 $50 shipped if you choose to go that route.

OP
OP
P

pcaras

For those who have used the Barricade stuff, that just takes a push lock/barb fittings with AN threads correct? Do you reinforce those with hose clamps?

What brand of pushlocks do you like?

Pechin0351

I used those same lines, ran into the same issue. Just need to loosen and tighten. But they need to be TIGHT. Your fittings are metal on metal. There is no rubber making the seal. Or at-least, mine don't have any rubber.

OP
OP
P

pcaras

I cranked it for the last time. I even used breaker bars on my wrenches to get more torque. No luck.

I need to just go with the flex lines at this point. No fault at all of BC Broncos. I have ordered many parts from them. I just don't have the patience to be tinkering with these leaks anymore.

Any advice on the brand of pushlocks that work well with the Barricade hose?

Thanks again!

Pete

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I feel terrible about your experience that can be so frustrating.

I used the Dorman branded plastic EFI lines, Ford fittings and the Dorman tool to install the fittings. I was so cheap I scavenged the fittings from the junk yard! I just cut them off the donor truck and then used a razor blade to peel the plastic off. I used 30 year old fittings and they worked perfect leak free the first time. I think the OEM Ford ones are the best way to go the quality is top notch.

Digger556

I'm with pcf_mark.

I'm using SS hardlines, flared with the Mastercool hydraulic flare kit. Soft lines are nylon and SAE J2044 quick connect fittings, which are found on almost every modern car. I bought Dorman units from Amazon along with the line, very cheap compared to SS softlines. I did buy the install tool. Some say you can do the install without. I did not have success. It is a breeze with the tool.

32503856758_95cf6ea05a_o.jpg

46375778501_706e6d2553_o.jpg

These fittings are very robust. For everything else, I use 37° flare fittings (AN/JIC)

OP
OP
P

pcaras

Thanks on the tool tip again. I ordered Aeroquip sockless hose and their fittings. I will try to install as they say without the tool, and if it is too hard, then I will go see if I can rent one from a store.