• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI fuel tank options

papy

Contributor
Hello,

i am well on my way with my 1996 5.0 explorer swap and i am now looking for options fuel tanks. a few questions i have are...

1. can i modify and use the OEM rear bronco fuel tank? if so what have some of you members done to the tank and or what have you purchased and from where to make this work

2. if i cant utilize the OEM bronco tank for EFI setup what are the best tank, fuel lines, fittings etc. options from our vendors or local parts stores for some stuff for EFI setup.

3. if the OEM setup is not an option is it better to go with an in-tank or external pump?

4. i have a 96 explorer which has the return lines. any members here can or have any suggestions on fuel lines. better to go steel or rubber?

5. what about fittings - what are we using for fuel line fittings.

also if i a missing something please let me know.

thank you

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Somebody on Face Book modified their rear factory tank to accept an factory Explorer fuel pump assembly... It was nothing I would run, but I guess it worked for them... I would worry about fuel starvation, since there is no "slosh box" at the bottom of the tank.

You can go with an external fuel pump. My preference is to use an internal pump as the factory did. You will get the argument that it is a pain to drop the tank off road to replace it... True unless you have a quick service hatch in your floor. Buy a quality pump, change filters regularly, and it should last 100K.

I like Areo tanks from SoCal. Speak with Jake. They can be fabbed a number of ways for EFI, including a provision for using the factory Explorer fuel pump assembly.

Minimize use of rubber hose, use EFI hose if you do. They (Gates) make a specially lined fuel hose. Earls also sells hose, fittings, EFI hose clamps. I bend up my own metal lines... If Braided fuel hose is something you like, be sure to use the teflon lined version with the appropriate fittings.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I used the stock tank and an external pump and it's been running without issues for 3 years now. I couldn't drop the bucks for an EFI tank and did the external as a "stop gap" till I could but now I don't see a need for me to buy one.

Tim

Attachments

• 20160929_180136.jpg
    20160929_180136.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 20160929_180242.jpg
    20160929_180242.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 20180113_164731.jpg
    20180113_164731.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 159
OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
I used the stock tank and an external pump and it's been running without issues for 3 years now. I couldn't drop the bucks for an EFI tank and did the external as a "stop gap" till I could but now I don't see a need for me to buy one.

Tim

time,

just trying to figure out your setup. Did you spice the return line into the vapour line?

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Somebody on Face Book modified their rear factory tank to accept an factory Explorer fuel pump assembly... It was nothing I would run, but I guess it worked for them... I would worry about fuel starvation, since there is no "slosh box" at the bottom of the tank.

You can go with an external fuel pump. My preference is to use an internal pump as the factory did. You will get the argument that it is a pain to drop the tank off road to replace it... True unless you have a quick service hatch in your floor. Buy a quality pump, change filters regularly, and it should last 100K.

I like Areo tanks from SoCal. Speak with Jake. They can be fabbed a number of ways for EFI, including a provision for using the factory Explorer fuel pump assembly.

Minimize use of rubber hose, use EFI hose if you do. They (Gates) make a specially lined fuel hose. Earls also sells hose, fittings, EFI hose clamps. I bend up my own metal lines... If Braided fuel hose is something you like, be sure to use the teflon lined version with the appropriate fittings.

All good info - thank you

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
papy got your PM.....will pass on all the info I can....

The return is spliced into the tank filled neck vent

I bought a roll of hard line from Summit and bent my own limes for down the frame. I ran braided ptfe lined lines (no fumes) to the hard lines and from the hard lines to fuel rail.

The two filters is just overkill on my part. First is there just so I can see the pump move fuel and as a pre filter before the pump. Second is a generic EFI filter I got from Summit.

Everything is put together with A/N fittings. I modeled it after the setup you can buy from BCBroncos.

I've never had any trouble out of the system. 110 degree days or winter 20 degree days.

I'll add a few more pics when I get to my PC tomorrow

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
First off, can you live with the size of the factory tank? That little 12 (or so) gallon tank is tiny. A lot of us have gone to a single oversized tank to the point that the aux tank end up getting deleted.

Do you really want to keep that little tank? That might be a good starting point.

For a return, the filler neck is a quick fix but not the best. The fuel waterfalls into the tank aerating it. Better returns put the fuel closer to the pickup point.

The in vs out of the tank debate will go on forever. But one of the new items that is out now that car really help is the Holley Hydromat. This will make an unbaffled or lightly baffled tank a lot more EFI friendly. I think a lot of EFI tanks could benefit from this as well. And there are versions that attach directly to the pump for the in tank options.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
First off, can you live with the size of the factory tank? That little 12 (or so) gallon tank is tiny. A lot of us have gone to a single oversized tank to the point that the aux tank end up getting deleted.

Do you really want to keep that little tank? That might be a good starting point.

For a return, the filler neck is a quick fix but not the best. The fuel waterfalls into the tank aerating it. Better returns put the fuel closer to the pickup point.

The in vs out of the tank debate will go on forever. But one of the new items that is out now that car really help is the Holley Hydromat. This will make an unbaffled or lightly baffled tank a lot more EFI friendly. I think a lot of EFI tanks could benefit from this as well. And there are versions that attach directly to the pump for the in tank options.

Couldn't agree more....the stock tank is small and the return solution isn't the best. I've considered modifying a stock sending unit to accept a return line. They sell them for mustang conversions but never seen one for a Bronco. Using the stock tank works for me. No long trips and I'm not shelling out $500 plus for an EFI ready tank.

Few more pic's of the setup. Bent the lines and ran them along the frame. The pump is an Airtex E2000

Tim

Attachments

• 20180113_164843.jpg
    20180113_164843.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 20180113_164831.jpg
    20180113_164831.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20180113_164823.jpg
    20180113_164823.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 20180113_164725.jpg
    20180113_164725.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor

Hi,

this is all great info and lots to consider here. do any of the vendors make over size tanks to replace even the aux OEM tank or is it just the rear tank that is made over size? the biggest problem for me is if a tank costs 500USD by the time i convert it to c=Canadian dollars, add in shipping and brokerage fees to Canada i am looking at 85+/-USD. this is a lot of money wasted money going to shipping, brokerage and exchange rates, if i can make what i have work then i will if not then i will have to bit the bullet and buy an EFI tank just like i buy other stuff that i need to complete my build.

can you members provide me with some vendors that make EFi tanks and the pros/cons that go with them?

thank you

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Couldn't agree more....the stock tank is small and the return solution isn't the best. I've considered modifying a stock sending unit to accept a return line. They sell them for mustang conversions but never seen one for a Bronco. Using the stock tank works for me. No long trips and I'm not shelling out $500 plus for an EFI ready tank.

Few more pic's of the setup. Bent the lines and ran them along the frame. The pump is an Airtex E2000

Tim

great! thank you for the pics and info.

Bruners4

Loc.
1/2 way to everywhere
I'm looking at this same conversion on my '68 project, '97 explorer 5.0 conversion. I will need to purchase a new tank as I don't have one currently. I'm a pump in tank guy so that is the direction that I'm going to go. I would like to run SS hard lines down the frame rail.
My question for this group is the size of the feed and return lines?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
3/8" will feed the engine all it will ever need.
Since you already will have 3/8" material it will work for the return as well.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I used a stock size plastic replacement tank. I cut a hole in the top and added a Holley Sniper drop in fuel pump with return lines. Only thing I messed up is put it in the front half of the tank and can uncover the pump under very hard acceleration.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
... do any of the vendors make over size tanks to replace even the aux OEM tank or is it just the rear tank that is made over size?

Many companies make the standard up-sized aux tank like this: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Steel_Auxiliary_Tank_12gal/Bronco_Steel_Fuel_Tanks but I'm not aware of any that are set up for an in-tank pump.
Most here use them in two ways for EFI then. First is to use it with an external pump system where there's no issue. The other is to install a small pump and use the setup as a transfer tank for when the main tank gets low. I think a lot of people have done it this way over the years even with carburetors.

You could do the same things with the stock tank of course, but you would not be gaining the additional five gallons or so. My stock one held 7gal from bone dry and my main tank was 11ga from bone dry to full.
Adding the 23gal main tank to my '71 made long trips so much more fun!
No more range anxiety.

I hear you on the cost issue. But you have to decide whether your driving habits will make the extra capacity worth it or not. As you see there are a few that have converted their stock tanks to EFI, so it can be done.
Just depends on how far you need to drive between fill-ups.

Good luck with the decisions! Always tough ones.

Paul

ransil

Bronco Guru

Tim

I ran external for 10 plus years, then I put a quiet exhaust on and could not stand the noise thy made so went in tank with the AREO tank.

Areo tank is ok not a piece of fabricated art, gets the job done.
was a little disappointed that one of the 2 top pieces sender or pump pickup assemble was no recessed, cant remember which one but one sticks up, i wanted to get it mounted as high as possible and the stick up made it so I had to mount it about 2" lower.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I originally pointed you towards an Aero tank, and I have had good success with them. They are not a pretty tank by any means, those doing a high end build probably would be unhappy with their look.

Given the parameters you stated with getting a tank shipped to Canada and the costs involved, I think an external pump with the factory rear tank would be the most cost effective... I did an EFI conversion for a guy here locally and he passed at the bigger rear tank, so I did the external pump on the factory rear 14 gal tank. Which was fine for everything he used the truck for... First time he drove it up to his property in Oregon he complained bitterly about how many times he had to stop and fill the tank....

Fuel lines - stock motor > had 5/16" pressure / return lines and they will work and are easier to bend. If you are planning any upgrades for HP then do the 3/8" lines.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I ran external for 10 plus years, then I put a quiet exhaust on and could not stand the noise thy made so went in tank with the AREO tank.

Areo tank is ok not a piece of fabricated art, gets the job done.
was a little disappointed that one of the 2 top pieces sender or pump pickup assemble was no recessed, cant remember which one but one sticks up, i wanted to get it mounted as high as possible and the stick up made it so I had to mount it about 2" lower.

My pump is back at the tank and I can't hear it prime when I turn the key on. I have it mounted on rubber isolators much as Ford did from the factory on the F150's for a few years.

Could be because I'm a half cab and not a full cab? My exhaust isn't loud per say...till you get on it......Maybe my ears are shot....too much loud music back in 80's

Tim

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
again thank you all for replying and posting the different options. as much as i would like to buy a new EFI tank i think i am going to stick with my plan and use my oem rear tank.

i also have an oem aux tank in my parts shed that i can install and use as a transfer tank. this is a great idea, i would have never thought of this.

does anyone have any info they can send me on how they hooked up the oem aux tank to perform as a transfer tank and what parts, pumps, fittings and lines they used?

id like to start making a list of everything i need to get this rear tank converted to efi and the aux tank as a transfer tank. this list will save me a couple or more trips to the part stores lol

i am not done with the questions yet lol - i am sure il have more to follow soon...

cheers