• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric cooling fan question

Prime Time

Hi All so glad to join this site , Im trying to install an electric fan and ditch the mechanical fan , I only have about 2" between the radiator and the water pump , I could gain about an inch if cut off the rad mount up against the front clip , wondering if anyone has ideas where to gain more room , I have a 2" radiator and 351 sb since im a newbie I cant figure out how to attach pic yet

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
How to upload photos - Become a Contributor

There are other accessory drive setups that you can use which will give more space between them and the radiator, so an electric fan is not your only option.
It seems that you would need a pusher fan if you go electric and those are usually less efficient at cooling than a puller fan.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, this is the age-old issue with Early Broncos. Just not enough room between the radiator and water pump snout for a decently powerful fan. And without power, you don't get good cooling in the poor aerodynamic environment under a Bronco hood either.
Result is overheating in many cases.

A pusher fan is not as efficient as a puller, but even to use a pusher you would need more room than a Bronco has between the grille and the core support.
All in all its just not a good place for an electric fan until you make more changes.

Some have gone to the point of cutting the core support and moving the radiator forward enough to fit the fan. But either moving the radiator forward or using a pusher fan means you lose your hood latch and have to go to hood pins instead. Which some, including me, would rather not do.

The most common solution so far is to convert the front accessory drive system on your engine to the '97 to '01 Ford Explorer V8 serpentine system. Doing so will net you almost an inch more room in the front. Then you can install a Ford Taurus V6, or Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan and most find this a happy medium.
Many of us have swapped over to the Explorer serp setup even without using an electric fan. Since the Xploder's mechanical fan is so good, it has not been an issue.

And speaking of an issue... Why is it that you are wanting to change your fan to electric? Reason I ask is not to tell you it's not a good option, because I like the idea of electric too. But to show you how much work you need to go through to get there and see if it's really worth the trouble to get what you want.
For most the results were less than stellar. But if you have an overheating issue already, it might not be the old fan unless it's been changed to some aftermarket setup. And if going electric you need the very powerful fans.
We sell some that have worked out well (https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Cooling_Fans) but also the Taurus fan has worked well. But whatever fan you choose needs to put out some serious CFM before it's considered a good candidate to cool a Bronco.
There is a Jaguar fan clutch and some odd setup that has worked well for some here as well. There are discussions about it you can find if you google the subject and add "site: classicbroncos.com" to the search. OR something like that.

Good luck. And welcome to classic too!
You new to the Bronco world? Or have had it a long time now?

Paul

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
!st off, welcome aboard. You have found the best early Bronco website on the net.

I'm a bit biased but I really like the Explorer serp set up. I installed mine 5 or so years ago and have been selling detailed kits since then.

Last winter I finally got around to putting an electric fan (Volvo) into my truck. I notched the core support and flipped the brackets to the other side, moving the radiator forward a bit. This, along with the serp set up yielded 5 inches of clearance between the radiator and the waterpump.

Hope this helps and let me know if you want a serp kit... :)

sriha

Electric fans are nice for crawling around in the woods. I ditched mine because my mechanical wasn't cutting it off road. Having a fan shroud takes up even more room but is needed, just make sure it isn't blocking too much of the radiator from incoming air when driving at speed. There are some thin fans to choose from if you are willing to do a little more customization to get things to fit or it depends on how much you are willing to spend to get something more out of the box.

I modified the way my radiator mounts to make it work but I also have a 302 so I may have a little more room than you do. I wish my fan was a little more centered on the radiator but I did what I could to make it fit. Some day I will add some flaps that open at speed but it works for now.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 52
  • radiator bracket.jpg
    radiator bracket.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 49
  • radiator bracket2.jpg
    radiator bracket2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 45

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR

Attachments

• 20170502_133435.jpg
    20170502_133435.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20170502_133411.jpg
    20170502_133411.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20170502_133400.jpg
    20170502_133400.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20160820_094441.jpg
    20160820_094441.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20160820_094341.jpg
    20160820_094341.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 54

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Something else to think about is power. Any electric fan that will keep a bronco cool will draw a lot of amps. You will need an upgraded charging system. That adds complexity and cost.

If you find low amp fans, they won't pull enough air. And most CFM ratings are marketing garbage not considering the work of pulling through the core.

OP
OP
Prime Time

Prime Time

thanks guys and I like the ideas , Im going to take my radiator out and look at the options, I like the idea of remounting the support tabs to gain a inch , and maybe go with the offset fan idea ? I cant find a way to attach pic's here , just the URL's , I have pics from a camera card but don't see that option ?