• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric Power Steering Assist (EPAS)

Apache Bronco

Loc.
Roosevelt, AZ
I searched the forums, but could not find.

I betcha I can't do this and keep the column 3 speed shifter. I would have to insert it after the shift tube, in the engine bay.
Has anyone toyed with this idea, even if you have an automatic or floor shifter? Would you have to move the auto shifter to the floor?

kmdenver

Loc.
Aurora
Moving my auto shift to floor. I'm using the 2016 Hyundai electric motor. Just starting this process.

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
My son said the new ford F150 has electric steering and you can do a U-turn using just one finger! The new Raptors don't have it because of the Rack & Pinion.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
New Jeep has electric over hydraulic power steering. Altima and Pathfinder have had the same since about '13.

Most electric power steering needs a brain to run them. Won't run stand alone. Needs CAN signals from speed battery, and other stuff. The electrohydrolic can run stand alone, just spin the pump and it's like the engine is running it. Oem will throttle back the pump at times. I know of a few conversations that are a few years running without issue.

kmdenver

Loc.
Aurora
Correct on the brain, failsafe mode

Some units like the Hyundai and I think Honda have a failsafe mode so they just need power. You don't get the speed sensitive adjustment. Testing on my bench there seems to be good torque assist. I am about a week out from having mine hooked up to a manual gear box and 31" tires.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Some units like the Hyundai and I think Honda have a failsafe mode so they just need power. You don't get the speed sensitive adjustment. Testing on my bench there seems to be good torque assist. I am about a week out from having mine hooked up to a manual gear box and 31" tires.

Sounds interesting, can't wait to see how it turns out.

BigB

Google search on “vintage mustangs forum”. Tons of info about which models to get donor parts.

Quite a few work in the fail safe mode.

Will be interesting to see how they go turning wheels on a heavy Bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk