• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

electric power steering

CraigS

"wasn't engineered for amplified input forces" - Force isn't really amplified. It's just taken away from the driver. Force on the box is the same unless you're steering much faster.....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
"wasn't engineered for amplified input forces" - Force isn't really amplified. It's just taken away from the driver. Force on the box is the same unless you're steering much faster.....

I will differ with that. Try and take a manual steering truck and crank the wheels lock to lock while stopped (add in some nice wide oversized tires that we all run these days). You really are not going to do anything. With power steering they just turn. You are getting much more action with power steering than without.

I wrenched on a couple of manual steering boxes hard. Trying to parallel park is a pain, a real workout. You learn to only turn the steering wheel while in a slow roll. Power steering will let you turn the wheel while stopped, forces that you can't generate with manual steering.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
We are thinking about installing it on our 65 Falcon station wagon

A lot lighter than a Bronco. But you are still stuck with a slow ration manual steering box. I remember the early Mustangs had 2 different steering ratios depending if it was manual or power steering. The exception was the GT manual steering got the power steering ratio. That sucked in a parking lot.

Mr. Lav

You might want to try looking at the 06 and newer Hyundai elantra steering column it is electric just need to run and pos and a ground. the only problem is at highway speeds it will feel loose but in a parking lot at slow speed it will feel fine because you won't have the computer cutting the voltage after reading the speed sensors.

vintage bronco

The problem you run into is if column shift I do not think you can use electric that attaches to column mustang not a problem as they were all floor shifts but I have been known to be wrong they may have a work around it now ????

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
You might want to try looking at the 06 and newer Hyundai elantra steering column it is electric just need to run and pos and a ground. the only problem is at highway speeds it will feel loose but in a parking lot at slow speed it will feel fine because you won't have the computer cutting the voltage after reading the speed sensors.

Someone is selling knobs on eBay that adjust the power assist
You can set it to whatever you want
And selling one that uses a VSS to automatically adjust the power assist

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
A lot lighter than a Bronco. But you are still stuck with a slow ration manual steering box. I remember the early Mustangs had 2 different steering ratios depending if it was manual or power steering. The exception was the GT manual steering got the power steering ratio. That sucked in a parking lot.

Still better than wrestling the manual steering in a parking lot

Especially lowered with fat tires like ours has.

Been driving it more and more , drove it from Atlanta to the Daytona turkey rod run , back to Atlanta and then to Jackson Mississippi and back .

The AC that’s on it is weak, so vintage Air is next.
This thing draws more attention than any vehicle I’ve ever driven .
It’s just grandmas old falcon wagon that’s lowered with mags and fat tires and a race car engine.