• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric Power Steering Conversion

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's a pretty new technology as far as the aftermarket is concerned, so probably nobody here (or at least a precious few) would have one. Yet.
It's being worked on for trucks, and there was one at SEMA this year (was it a Bronco, or some other vehicle?) but other than talk, I have not seen one done.

Generally, with most efforts in the past leaning towards more wheel travel, an electric steer kit would have been something to really have to think on. With different technologies now, and less inclination to wheel travel and more to the street performance, a solid axle front end might not be so hard to do.

We'll see I guess. Won't take too long for the experiments to come down the pike perhaps.

What's your reasoning for wanting to go that route?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure about any statement with "ease of installation" in front of it! hah! And you're going to be looking for at least a little extra cost on a Bronco installation anyway. Pretty sure those shafts and yokes will not fit an EB, so you'd be into it for 2 yokes and 2 custom half-shafts. Or at least one yoke/shaft combo and a coupler.

Just that there's not a lot of room in that area on an EB, and not sure (did not see it listed) what torque ratings or whatever ratings would be necessary these things have.
Their "universal" kit is a 380 watt, vs the 220 watt (I think) in the one you listed. Since these are for ATV's and UTV's with their lighter weight and smaller tires, not sure how that would relate to what we need with a Bronco.

But, that style does look promising. Not completely against electric. Just not sure how the existing ones will work for us. Sure be interesting to find out!
I'm betting there are more units available than just these few, so maybe there's one out there that's just right.

Good luck. Interested to see how it works out if you pursue this project.

Paul

OP
OP
Crainbow243

Crainbow243

Haha no, I would not go for that one specifically, but the installation point of it made it look much easier to install that doing a traditional power steering conversion. Just wondering if anyone had ever done anything like that. Didnt really see other options, I liked that install point. Most other ones were installed on the rack, which would require a whole new rack for an EB.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Got a friend that does some one off builds, he asked me if any 4 wheelers were using an electric set up??? I'm going to get more info from him, he pulled his from a junk yard from a smaller cheby car, he used in on a 20-30's firetruck he's rebuilding. Got it for $60. He referred to it as electric "assisted" power steering"?? This may be 2 different areas?? I know it would require fab work, but this guy has a complete machine shop and builds all kind of stuff for his use.;D;D;D

OP
OP
Crainbow243

Crainbow243

Yeah I would want to find an electric "assist" but I was unable to locate any that would work on an EB online

Rymadd

My biggest complaint with manual steering cars and trucks I have driven from the 60s is they are always 5 and 6 turns lock to lock (to reduce effort). That is just way too much if you want to be doing anything but cruising around. These electric setups don't solve that issue like a power steering box does which tends to be less then 4 turns.

I think the market for those might be classic cars that NEVER came power steering and don't have an easy way to put a power box in, and not an offroad truck.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think it would be worth considering. They may be electric, but still the ones I've seen use steel balls just like the old hydraulic units have.
One nice advantage they have is they don't use power when they're not steering. Hydraulic units use power all the time.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Modern truck have electric power steering, but it is done at the rack.
Not sure I would want that extra torque shoved into the manual steering box. The stock manual box doesn't wear that well with just manual steering, adding power in front of it can't be good.

The electric power conversions (in the column conversions) are for much lighter vehicles. ATVs, street rods, that sort of vehicle. There are electric steering columns in production vehicles but those are the light weight econo boxes. By the time you get into a mid sized car the electric assist is moved to the rack.

There are some that use an electric over hydraulic. But these still have computers in them. I don't know of any that will run stand alone or any aftermarket versions of them.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Here's a company that sells electric assist. http://americanpowertrain.com/p-29458-electric-power-steering.html
Still more for cars and really for the expense(around $2K) standard power steering is way cheaper.
One of my buddys side by sides has electric power steering cant remember what happened but his power steering wouldnt work it was still driveable but a big differance in steering force.
Most older vehicles with manual steering had less caster so it was easier to steer. Once power steering came out caster was increased so straight line handling was better.

Did a little digging maybe this would be worth a try defintely could be done cheap junkyard parts and a ebay controller. Should be able to do it under $200 might do ok for street bronco with small tires dont think Id put it on anything going offroad or running big tires. Sooner or later electronics fail and with these systems its not likely you can run to the local parts store and get parts. http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all...column-electric-power-assist-system-epas.html