• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical burning after a new starter/solenoid. Help!

Jr.mudflinger

Loc.
Oakley, CA
My starter blew on me awhile back now and I replaced it, without replacing the solenoid with it, which I now know you should. So, I replaced the solenoid after smelling burning when driving it (with the old one still on). While I was replacing the solenoid, a spark flew (I didn't disconnect the battery-don't let me work on your rigs! lol), hooked everything up, wouldn't start (as if the battery was dead). I figured I blew the solenoid now and got a new one, come to realize the positive cable to the battery fell off the solenoid prong and sparked, and I never saw it hanging there, disconnected, so I never put it back on any of the new solenoids.

Finally realized my stupid mistake and connected the battery and voila! It starts, however, it still smells like something is electrically burning. Specifically from the area that the starter dwells (exhaust manifold, battery, solenoid) all that area, I can't pinpoint it. Any advice???

Thanks
Colton T.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Does the starter have good cranking speed? Is anything hot to the touch after cranking?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
New starter could be the new brushes arcing and smelling or just your cautious side putting smells in your head.