• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical issues - voltage regulator

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Was driving yesterday and decided to punch it up a hill. The radio shut off and my ammeter was jumping up and down and my lights flickered. When I got home, I shut it off, and the ammeter still made noise and jumped. It stopped after a few minutes, I turned the key on, and everything seemed normal.

Drove it today, and 10 minutes later, radio quit, ammeter showed positive but would drop to bottom every few seconds. Parked, came back 6 hours later and this time, no radio and ammeter was mostly negative, sometimes when i got on it, it would go positive. Alternator? Voltage regulator?

ransil

Bronco Guru
ignore the ammeter and put a volt meter on the battery terminal and see what it reads, with and without the motor running.

Most auto parts stores test electrical systems for free, drive down to one and get it checked.

70 Steed

Do you have an amp for your radio. I had the same issue. At idle the radio worked fine. When I accelerated the amp cut out. Turns out the alternator was putting out 15.5 volts to the battery and the amp was going into protection mode and shutting down.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
everything checks out ok. replaced the voltage regulator, no more bouncy ammeter. However, my radio still doesn't work, everything else works fine... any ideas?

broncobilly72

Hook up your radio with a direct line to the switched side of the starter solinoid with an inline fuse especially if you have an non stock radio or amp.