• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Knocking/Clacking Once Warm

gooch66

Loc.
Germantown, TN
I have read every thread related to engine sounds and the only way I can describe the sound is that it is similar to a diesel. It doesn’t start until the engine is at temp, 190*. I have a 302, Edelbrock 4-barrel carburetor and intake manifold and have been running regular gas, 87 octane. I have changed the oil (10W40), plugs (Autolite gapped at 0.044), and added Lucas oil stabilizer and it still knocks when I accelerate while shifting and it’s loudest at about 2,500 rpms. If I shift early, I don’t notice the sound. I hear so much more now that I am running with a bikini top and this may have been going on before. I filled up the weekend before this started (or the first time I noticed it) and was wanting to know if this is bad gas, low octane, or rod knock? I’m at half a tank and considering running that down and trying some premium to see if that does the trick. Any suggestion?
Thanks.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, if it is knocking and pinging when you are lugging it it would probably be the timing is to far advanced.
If it is in the engine you need to put an oil pressure gauge on it. Worn bearings = low oil pressure.
Good luck