• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

engine trouble

carrottop596

Hey guys, i have a 1971 Bronco with a 302 and im having a little trouble with it. The engine was rebuilt, then it sat for about 3 years. I recently changed the belt, oil, relubed, etc. to get it running. Most of the time it starts up fine, but sometimes, especially when it is cold, it doesn't want to start. Sometimes it will crank and i can hear it firing a couple of times but it wont start. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it? Also, does anyone know where the healight fuse is? Thanks for all the help.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sounds like your choke needs adjustment.

There is no headlight fuse. There's an auto breaker built into the headlight switch which opens when it gets hot enough. The dimmer switch often causes problems with the headlights because its mounted low and the contacts tend to corrode.

moe d

Loc.
chicago, il
how old is your fuel pump? mine started to sputter and found out my fuel pump was bad.. it's a cheap fix.. also have you cleaned your carb or fuel filter?

OP
OP
C

carrottop596

*Update*
I just tried the Bronco again and she still cranks but i dont hear it firing at all. Does each tank have a separate fuel pump? because the first time i had this problem was when i switched over to my aux tank. How can i check the fuel pump?

BNC04

Loc.
Longmont
They use the same fuel pump.

Does the problem now occur regardless of which tank you use? If so, then your problem lies from the carb to your fuel selector switch. Change your fuel filters, inline if you have it, as well as the one going into the carb.

Basically, with fuel related issues,, Start with known good and work from there. Especially if you have had it sitting for 3 years with gas in the tanks.

I would, replace the filters, drop the tanks, drain and inspect them and the pick up tubes, inspect the selector switch. put it all back together. test, if still trouble, check to be sure there is fuel flow at the carb verifying the mechanical pump is good. If still bad, take the carb apart and clean it.

I'm guessing that you had some gunk in the other tank which has now been sucked into the filters and or pump.

My past experiences in fuel issues tells me to take the time to make sure everything is in good shape. If there is gunk in the tanks, it may work for a while, then start up again with a totally different symptom, Then you start replacing ignition parts and chasing your tail. Take the time to drop and verify the tanks and pickups are in good shape. It will save you in the long run. ( especially if it has sat for 3 years with gas in there)

Brett

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
First lets see if it is a fuel problem. Remove the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine. If you get a good stream of gas then it is not a delivery problem.

BNC04

Loc.
Longmont
First lets see if it is a fuel problem. Remove the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine. If you get a good stream of gas then it is not a delivery problem.

LOL.. I guess I did make a leap of faith there and didn't include that as the first line:) thanks.

Brett

OP
OP
C

carrottop596

I replaced the fuel filter and tried starting without the fuel line in and lots of fuel came out. now what?

OP
OP
C

carrottop596

I was not getting a spark from the starter coil so i replaced it and still don't get a spark from it.

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
if you have points,remove cap and make sure points open and close.adjust as nesessary.also for a quick check,take 3-4 feet of #14 stranded automotive wire,put alligator clips on both ends.clip one end to + side of coil and other to battery +.try to start it.if it starts remove clip from coil.if it stays running run ckt is good,start ckt bad.to check start ckt,put clip wire on I term of starter solenoid and other to + side of coil and try again.if it starts,you have a possible bad brown wire from I term on solenoid to by-pass on resistor wire(run wire) to coil .

OP
OP
C

carrottop596

I tried what you said and it still wouldn't start with the wire from the battery to the coil. any other ideas?

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
bad coil,condenser,bad roter or bad cap.and coil wire to dist.try removing + wire on coil from ign.sw.try jumper again.there is a bare ground wire inside dist.is it connected?

Muddn7

Loc.
alamogordo, nm
take the cap off of the dist, and call a friend. Points freeze, and show no continuity! Just have a friend crank it, and check the points for spark, note the color of the spark! If its white or blue, your good, if it looks more like a static electricity spark, check your coil, or even the security of your coil!