• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ever think of putting a chevy plant in your eb?

PartnersInCrime

Please don't think less of me for bringing this up, but I really want to put a 700r4 in my bronco, it's going to be a daily driver if/when it gets done. So, I was thinking, it would be WAY cheaper and easier to just put all chevy running gear in it. The question is, has anyone on here ever done this or even thought much about it? I can't seem to find a really good reason to not do it other than giving my bronco an identity crisis...

I guess what I'm asking is, what are the upsides and downsides of a ford 351w vs a chevy 350, the dana 20 vs the NP208, and what haven't I really thought about here?

thanks for the input, and please don't hate me for considering this...

PiC

OP
OP
P

PartnersInCrime

I forgot to mention that I searched the entire forum and couldn't find any other articles or information, if you can find it, please by all means post the link for me!

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
it's been done, at least the drive-train. Not sure about that particular engine, but you can pm jpalmer about his LSX install, which works pretty well.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Sell the bronco and go buy a blazer. Or go to a Chevy site and ask them how to do this exercise in transvestitism...

crews44

Loc.
Mullica Hill, NJ
An LS motor would be sick. Had a 05 GTO that put 455hp to wheel with stock ported head and cam.....But that would be just wrong in a bronco....

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I feel it's fair to warn you...

Partnersincrime,
I totally understand where you're coming from. I'd like to install a 704R too. It's a tough tranny with a lower first gear than a Ford. I can get one for a lot less money than a ford overdrive. There is even reference to that very retrofit in the tech articles on this site. The members on this site seem to support all sorts of cross brand retrofits of hubs, steering components, transmissions, brakes and even antennas. I'm afraid, however, that most of the members here draw the line at the motor. There are a few that insist that diesel motors are better and come under different scutiny.%) I've brought up the idea of installing a Chevy motor in mine and got a response that shouldn't have even been allowed in the off topic lounge.:-[ Obviously those members suffer from sort of inferriority complex.

Attachments

• chevy nazi.JPG
    chevy nazi.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 11

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Way cheaper and EASIER? Sure. Go ahead and give it a whirl and let us know how that works out.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
The members on this site seem to support all sorts of cross brand retrofits of hubs, steering components, transmissions, brakes and even antennas. I'm afraid, however, that most of the members here draw the line at the motor.

So what? Seriously. I build my EB (undergoing its third transformation right now) for me, and honestly don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks of it.

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Please don't think less of me for bringing this up

I can't seem to find a really good reason to not do it other than giving my bronco an identity crisis...

and please don't hate me for considering this...

I think putting in a Chevy engine in a Ford Bronco would be like cutting off your tally-wacker and putting lady parts in it's place. If you really thought it was right, you wouldn't care what other people thought of your newly acquired lady parts. So if you do put a Chevy engine in a Ford Bronco expect people to look at that Bronco like it had it's tally-wacker cut off and and lady parts put in. Might as well register it as a Chevy while you're at it.

I personally don't care for mis-matched vehicle makes and engines. I'm so tired of seeing hot rod Fords with Chevy engines. I understand Chevy 350 parts are much cheaper than anything else out there. I don't necessarily think it would be easier to put it in you Bronco.

There are overdrive automatic Ford transmissions that work well in Broncos, might want to check into that.

Or go ahead and cut off your Broncos tally-wacker.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
it's all a bunch of steel from detroit. If it matters that it was designed and made 4 miles away in a different factory to someone then that's their problem.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So what? Seriously. I build my EB (undergoing its third transformation right now) for me, and honestly don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks of it.

Amen brother.

Both of these have Chevy engines and their owners are dedicated Bronco people that support OCBR. You might try contacting Gordon Bailie (Bailiebilt) as he was involved with the building of the one in the first picture, I also believe it's for sale.

Attachments

• DSC01494.jpg
    DSC01494.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC01597.jpg
    DSC01597.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 29

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
when I bought the bronco the engine wasn't running and I had a 73 CJ with a 350 TPI chevy motor, SM420 with a 7.01 1st gear and 3.58 second, coupled to teh CJ M20. I was really close but I got the engine running and bout the EFI on ebay for $90 including shipping and once the old 302 was fuel injected I stopped having those thoughts.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Amen brother.

Both of these have Chevy engines and their owners are dedicated Bronco people that support OCBR. You might try contacting Gordon Bailie (Bailiebilt) as he was involved with the building of the one in the first picture, I also believe it's for sale.

I would sell it too if it had a Shivy motor in it!!:p;);D

Is the only reason people put Shivy drive train in none Shivy vehicles is because there cheaper? That would explain all the first to present generation Comeros sitting in trailer parks not running and three shades of primer!!;)

Just ask jpalmer what happens when your at a FORD Bronco event and the Shivy motor needs parts.............yeah smart choice!;D