• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer parts list and HP question

maverickconner

Ok, so I have been reading like a mad man because I just found a 96 explorer 5.0 for $500 with harness and computer. I am having him pull the throttle pedal and cable, a 94' 2 core radiator, 99 lower hose, the coolant return bottle and getting an astro van hydroboost.

1.Can anyone please tell me if there is anything I am missing from the parts car?

2. and what is the main difference if I use the explorer computer or a mustang computer?

3. and why you would change the distributor?

4. Also, can I even use the explorer harness? seems like it would be the preferred choice, I built the last two, one from the XR-7, the other a mustang

5. and I am going to rebuild the motor, and want 300hp, if one of the HP gurus could chim in on what throttle body and injectors I would need I sure would appreciate it.

I have done a XR-7 5.0 before and also a 351W GT-40 EFI, but those were very similar to the mustang. Now I read these builds and people are switching back to those parts.
my final combo is going to be

96 explorer motor (300hp/ 350ft torque--- if possible)
NV3550
D20- Jshift
4.56 locked front and rear full width 79' axles
35" tires

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Much easier / common to use Mustang computer, distributor, and harness (or aftermarket version such as RJM)

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
96 explorer is OBDII has no distributor, 8 coil packs instead. No aftermarket harness for a 96 swap.

OP
OP
maverickconner

maverickconner

I did, I did,,,, why do you think I got the motor ;)

I got my taxes done and read the entire thing this afternoon...

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
All you need is a 89-93 5.0 mustang harness, some o2 sensors, and a mustang distributor and MAF. Everything else can be from the Explorer as far as intake, throttle body, TPS, IAB, ACT, ECT sensor.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
With headers and a cam swap you should be able to reach your HP/TQ goal but in stock form the exploder is already at 280 ft lbs. So really there's not much need to change anything unless you just want numbers. but changing the cam will move the power band and most likely only up where you may not need it in a bronco.

OP
OP
maverickconner

maverickconner

Thanks broncnaz, the motor has over a hundred thousand miles so I was going to rebuild it anyhow. I figured since I had it down I would spice it up a little. With an RV cam, wouldn't that move the power towards the torque side? I was curious if I needed to change MAS/throttle body/injector size...

I have seen where one person has done the full conversion with the explorer stuff and I was looking at the harness and computer... I think I can widdle it down to working size, I would like to stick with the computer controlled crank position sensor. But then again, I do not know how modifying the motor will affect this set up.

I have seen that someone down in FL did the whole conversion and had been running it for a while, just curious if there was some sort of write up from this???

bsquared

Contributor
Subscribed! Thanks for sharing the EFI info. I may swap from carb to the 96 exploder EFI I have stashed in my attic next year.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Depending on maintence and care provided by previous owner(s)..........100k ain't nuttin on Explorer motor.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 100k is nothing on a EFI engine. Most go closer to 200K before they need to be rebuilt even then sometimes it only needs rings and bearings. at most I'd change the timing chain maybe the oil pump and check the lower bearings.
The explorer cam is a pretty good cam as it is. Most RV type grinds are going to be similar and probably wont increase power much just move it. Small block engines need to rev up to make power you just are not going to get 300 hp at 1500 rpm with a 302. I'd forget about HP numbers. torque is what you want anyways.
If you say fairly close to stock you should be able to use the stock explorer EFI. Although I'm not sure how tied in the transmission is to the late explorer computer. you may need a VSS hook upto get it to run correctly.

OP
OP
maverickconner

maverickconner

unfortunately, all I know is it has over 100k on it, if I knew a little more, I would be willing to trust it a little better. I might just take it apart to look and see if there is much lipping or bearing wear and change the oil pump when I'm in there.

OK so it will take a little while to get the motor down to the island, but the real question is if I decide to use the Explorer setup (wiring and computer), are you guys ready to pull me off the cliff when I decide to jump because I have been looking at wiring schematics for 20hrs straight, running around in circles kicking rocks-- talking to myself .....lol ;)

I'll be a guinea pig

PS I got him to get me a couple of the O2 sensors also

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
just do a compression and or leak down test on the engine that will tell you a lot. If that pans out you can pull the pan and inspect the bottom end. My dads 88 ranger has over 400K on the stock engine at 300K we put new bearings and rings in it. it was just within spec's. he didnt want to put any more money than nessesary into that 2.9l.

OP
OP
maverickconner

maverickconner

I may rethink this, he was pretty determined that the transmission control may be an issue if putting a manual in it. It is pre-PATS so I am not worried about that, but not sure about the single sending unit for the fuel line. I am starting to turn to the dark side...

Are there any other parts you can think of for the build, I am going to still get the wiring harness and every thing else I can so I can get it to work properly.

OP
OP
maverickconner

maverickconner

I just had him grab the rear brakes and lines, as a side note.

Thats a plus, I am not sure about the controls for that single line. Would it be worth it to have him grab the fuel lines and pump? or just get new lines and a F-250 fuel pump?

OK, I am rethinking this now. With no PATS and no single line return, I am only slowed down be the transmission issue. I plan on getting the NV3550, so the computer will still think it is a auto--- is this going to be an issue for the computer or can I fool it some how?

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
dude... don't do it with the ODBII. Follow the herd!

I know it seems complicated, but the ODBII is going to be so much worse than collecting the few parts you need for the Mustang setup.

I updated my EFI thread page 1 with a shortened version of my install. There are also some good links there.

Read through all 5 of these PDFs if you haven't already:
http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=62

My EFI build thread
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150669

here's a thread I started at SBFTech a couple years ago asking about getting more HP out of the Explorer motor:
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27373.0.html

The guys on that forum know their stuff.