• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer serpentine Lower radiator hose?

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
What lower radiator hose have you guys found to be best for the Explorer serpentine conversion (reverse rotation) with the Champion Radiator (larger inlet). The Mustang has a smaller outlet on one side which wont work on mine... I "Customized" one out of a couple different hoses in the mean time, but want it right lol

*I used to have standard rotation radiator with the BC Bronco lower hose, but when my Radiator went out I decided to go to reverse to look cleaner and having a hard time finding correct size hoses

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I made a lower hose from exhaust elbows and welded it up. I think it is a 45 degree, straight section then a 90 degree. Then I just put a short section of rubber on each end to made. It should last a long time and it does not care of the belt or fan make a little contact.

mgb0302

Rodrig3911- I just finished my serpentine swap with my 351. Finding belts was a PITA. In short, I am using a Dayco hose part # 81341 (its a hardened flex hose about 19"). Here are the issues I dealt with and why I settled on the 81341.

1) Swapped to a 5.0 conversion Champion radiator.
2) A hose from a 5.0 mustang would not work because the bottom hose rad inlet was bigger than the Mustang hose.
3) I tried a Dayco 81331 (16"), but because it was shorter than the 81341, it kinked up. The longer hose allowed the hose to take an easier bend.
4) My power steering box inlet and return lines caused a bit of clearance issue with the hose but repositioning the angle of the lines provided just enough room (return line is actually right on top of lower hose but it is going to a PS cooler next so no issue [I hope !!!]).
5) I had to use one of those stainless steel "make a hose" kit for the upper. Again, the mustang hose diameter too small for 1.75" rad inlet.

Hope that helps

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Sounds like you guys had the same issues I did ;D.. I also used some Exhaust tubing to make it work like you did PCF_Mark, but wanted to find a hose that didn't need any modifying other then trimming. Everything is working just fine the way I got it, just would like to find a hose that'll fit without having to use exhaust tubing and cut up other hoses

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I just read that the stock Bronco Radiator hose fits some peoples reverse rotation lower hose.. I got one on order and we shall see...

papy

Contributor
following- i am currently in the same boat...

can pfc_mark or rodrig3911 post pics of the welded up exhaust pipe configuration?

thank you

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Mines not welded, I just cut about a 4" section of exhaust pipe, slipped on two ends hose ends with the right length and bends, and clamped them down. works great, but I really want a single hose without the Jerry rigging hahaha

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
I used on my bronco
Top hose 20983 trim to fit.
Bottom hose requires two hoses
22690 that connects to the lower water pump and a (22452 O’Reilly) 62512 (continental brand) from amazon which connects to the lower radiator on passenger-side Cut and splice the (2)90° there on this hose and connect with inch and five eights inch copper.
I used a stock radiator from O’Reilly.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
We use a 2002 F-250 7.3 lower hose. You have to trim it a little to fit and it helps to put a P clamp to restrain the hose where it passes I front of the lower pulley on the explorer SERP. Works great and have thousands of miles on the setup in several Broncos.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
There is nothing wrong with using a metal pipe in-between two rubber hoses. The factory does it all of the time; in fact they did it on the upper hoses used for heating for the same Explorer you pulled the serpentine off of. The BC kit is really nice, and not badly priced.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For an unknown reason that bent pipe did not work for me, either hit the frame or came to close to pullies, possibly a body lift issue? So I built one out of silicone hoses and connectors. pricey, but never needs replacing.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I looked at those but went silicone with straight, 45 and 90's to make it all fit. Way cheaper...

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Upper hose is a Fox body Mustang upper hose. Just trimmed it as it was a little long with a Windsor.
Lower hose is the eb hose flipped the other way but also shortened a little bit.

Not sure what the problem is....

I used a Champion aluminum reverse inlet rad to accommodate the Explorer reverse rotation/inlets.
Rad was only $146 bucks on Ebay. Upper hose from Autozone for like $12 bucks. Lower hose from one of our vendors for like $20 something but I already had that.

My hoses fit perfect just a little too long.

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Thank you Bronco Loco. Just ordered that lower hose. I got a 1” body lift, but it looks like that will still work well;D