• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Serpentine Upgrade Kit. What else do I need?

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Just bought an explorer serpentine kit from sanndmann3 You can look and see what all it comes with.

Now trying to nail down everything else I need. PLEASE hep me get everything before it gets here, and help me get specifics.

* I already have the electric fuel pump
* I'm keeping my stock radiator for now.

1. 96-01 5.0 Explorer Water Pump
2. 96-01 5.0 Explorer 4 G Alternator (any part numbers or vendors you suggest?)
3. 96- 01 5.0 Explorer Serpentine Belt (no A/C) Gates K060825
4. 90 Degree water neck
5. RADIATOR HOSES!? I've read about 13 different hoses that work. Can someone just give me part numbers to buy? :p
6. Different fan shroud, although I've heard differing opinions on this.
7. Gaskets
8. High Pressure power steering hose

The kit includes the timing pointer but the article confused me.

Okay, look forward to your wisdom!

Thanks!

Jim

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 143

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
What are you doing with the balancer?

I got all my parts too.
I already converted to an Elec. Fuel pump.

But I still need to address the harmonic balancer.

There is always DamperDudes.com

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
What are you doing with the balancer?

I got all my parts too.
I already converted to an Elec. Fuel pump.

But I still need to address the harmonic balancer.

There is always DamperDudes.com

Planning on damper dudes. They have a great reputation and are fast. I read they don't actually re-balance your balancer, but they already have some that are rebalanced and as soon as they get yours they send one already finished out.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
That is likely the procedure.
Their stock photo looks like they just drill it out until the counter weight is 22 ounces lighter....but it can't be that simple....haha

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
BOLTS!!!

Get the correct length bolts as some are a odd ball length and you have to buy longer ones and cut them off

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Just bought an explorer serpentine kit from sanndmann3 You can look and see what all it comes with.

Now trying to nail down everything else I need. PLEASE hep me get everything before it gets here, and help me get specifics.

* I already have the electric fuel pump
* I'm keeping my stock radiator for now.

1. 96-01 5.0 Explorer Water Pump
2. 96-01 5.0 Explorer 4 G Alternator (any part numbers or vendors you suggest?)
3. 96- 01 5.0 Explorer Serpentine Belt (no A/C) Gates K060825
4. 90 Degree water neck
5. RADIATOR HOSES!? I've read about 13 different hoses that work. Can someone just give me part numbers to buy? :p
6. Different fan shroud, although I've heard differing opinions on this.
7. Gaskets
8. High Pressure power steering hose

The kit includes the timing pointer but the article confused me.

Okay, look forward to your wisdom!

Thanks!

Jim

Factory lower Rad hose (cut to fit) and the WH pre-made pipe so you can reuse the factory RAD.

Upper Bronco rad hose made by Goodyear/Continental #CEL 60710. Buy from Summit. All of the other manufacturers are slightly different and did not work. Buy a 1.5 OD metal coupler from hardware store, or find one made from stainless. (see pic) The hose is cut, rotated, and actually installed backwards from the normal position.

Are you using the Explorer cooling tubes? The return hose to the water pump is obsolete? Ask for one for an 88-92 5.0 Mustang.

Alt - usually auto parts stores have different grades, re-man all the way up to brand new. Each has there own price point and core charge. No core charge for a new one! Honestly, an original Ford one from a wreaking yard will do fine... 4.0 V6 are supposed to be different (hole spread) than the 5.0.

Fan shroud - Alum one WH sells is good with Factory Rad. It is deep enough that the fan sticks in it at least half way. Others are using 4.0 Rad and shroud which requires modes...

Timing pointer - just leave the trigger sensor in place and bolt it up. Makes you use the Explorer HB.

I bought the WH's adapters to AN and had a pressure hose made locally. Usually two 90* fittings and 2' of hose. Take the hose and fitting loose and position them on the hose as needed. Mark with permanent marker and take back to shop to have the ends crimped. There are other ways to make a pressure hose, I am sure others will chime in.

Attachments

• DSCN4008.jpg
    DSCN4008.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 195

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Listen. About the balancer. All you need to do is use the balancer off of your 302 or 351 you already have. Take the explorer balancer and the balancer off of your engine. Line up the keyways and transfer the timing marks from the explorer balancer to your balancer. This puts the timing marks in correlation with the explorer timing pointer. Once you do this, get the driven Auto pully, also sold by wild horses as the explorer conversion pully and bolt everything up. The only problem you may have is if you are putting this on a late model 351 then that damper will have 4 pully bolts in it. The explorer conversion pully only has three. So you will need a 28oz balancer off of an older 302 to transfer the timing marks to so that you will have a three bOlt balancer

Clear as mud? Pm me if i confused you

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
BOLTS!!!

Get the correct length bolts as some are a odd ball length and you have to buy longer ones and cut them off

The kit I sell has all the unique bolts for attaching every thing so no worries there...

The bolt on pulley is another option to the Explorer piece.

You can actually make the 4.0 Alt work if you make a little adapter plate. the 4.0 bolt pattern is wider than the 5.0... This is what I did on my truck originally .

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The kit I sell has all the unique bolts for attaching every thing so no worries there...

The bolt on pulley is another option to the Explorer piece.

You can actually make the 4.0 Alt work if you make a little adapter plate. the 4.0 bolt pattern is wider than the 5.0... This is what I did on my truck originally .

Thanks for that Sandmann3... Always wondered why they (4.0 Alt) did not fit...

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Listen. About the balancer. All you need to do is use the balancer off of your 302 or 351 you already have. Take the explorer balancer and the balancer off of your engine.

Are the pulley and balancer integrated on the Explorer piece. I'm using the stock 302.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Get the metal explorer fan and use a clutch off a 2009 ish GMC Envoy. The plastic fan uses a clutch that only locks up to about 70% of RPM, the truck version goes to 90%.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Are the pulley and balancer integrated on the Explorer piece. I'm using the stock 302.

The pulley is integral to the balancer.

One advantage of the Explorer harmonic is if you ever want to go E.D.I.S. fuel injection (via EFIGuy), the tone ring is right there and the trigger is part of the pointer...

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Just ordered everything I could think of, find, was told I needed. And I'm probably using the old radiator. I guess I should get a new one of those too.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
EDIS is fantastic...ZAP!! ;)