• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer steering reservoir repair

first timer

the botton tube for the low pressure return on my reservoir is broken and i don't have the piece that broke off. is there any way to repair it? I've read where some have tapped the reservoir for hydroboost, would it be possible to cut off what remains and drill it out and tap it for a barbed connection?

If so, plastic or brass and should it be threaded on from the inside or the plastic tapped?

Hoping to wrap up the serpentne over the weekend and would rather not buy and wait on a $50 reservoir from ebay. Local craigslist search turned up nothing.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I had a perfect reservoir. Then I cut the return tube short, drilled it out just slightly to fit a steel tube inside, and used a compression fitting to keep it all together. The goal and result is a return tube that will not break off.

Attachments

• Bronco 168c.jpg
    Bronco 168c.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 49

mattt

Bronco Guru
I broke mine by accident as well. I cut off what was remaining and threaded the reservoir with 1/8" NPT and screwed in a brass hose barb....no leaks yet.

OP
OP
F

first timer

viper, that looks great! If i wasn't looking to do it on the cheap and quick, I would love to do that.

mattt, sounds like your set up is what I had in mind. I had to order the return hose so I don't have the size. what size barb?

mattt

Bronco Guru
I have regular black 3/8" transmission hose for the return.