• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer swap parts?

aj

Loc.
Holts Summit , Mo
I've been doing some research and reading lots of posts. Is there a "master list" of exactly what you need to have off of the explorer to make it almost bolt into the early bronco? From what I've read it seems the 97' explorer would be the best donor because of the gt40 heads. Would an earlier explorer engine work too or are those different? I'm thinking of just buying a whole vehicle so I know I have all the parts to make it work. But what if you can get a good deal on a low mileage older 5.0 out of a explorer? Can you take that and stick it in too?

I guess I would mainly like to know what year/s of the explorer will be the least amount of complications/troubles to bolt in and go? I know there seem to be differences in the AOD transmissions as well with computer controlers. Also, what would be required besides an adapter to bolt to the Dana 20? I want as few electronic stuff swap as possible but still have EFI. The more computer stuff there is on it the more that can go wrong with it.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I've been doing some research and reading lots of posts. Is there a "master list" of exactly what you need to have off of the explorer to make it almost bolt into the early bronco? From what I've read it seems the 97' explorer would be the best donor because of the gt40 heads. Would an earlier explorer engine work too or are those different? I'm thinking of just buying a whole vehicle so I know I have all the parts to make it work. But what if you can get a good deal on a low mileage older 5.0 out of a explorer? Can you take that and stick it in too?

I guess I would mainly like to know what year/s of the explorer will be the least amount of complications/troubles to bolt in and go? I know there seem to be differences in the AOD transmissions as well with computer controlers. Also, what would be required besides an adapter to bolt to the Dana 20? I want as few electronic stuff swap as possible but still have EFI. The more computer stuff there is on it the more that can go wrong with it.

Explorer's were only offered with the 5.0 from the factory between 96-01 as chuzie said. To further clarify....most 97's had GT40P heads, but a few had GT40 heads. If you want to be sure to get GT40 heads, then get a 96 Explorer. AFAIK, 96 is the only year where you are guaranteed to get GT40's.

They will all bolt in equally as easy/hard....only difference being the P heads which makes exhaust fussy. No Explorer came with an AOD, they all had the 4R70W which is basically a computer controlled AOD.

If you are leery of "computer stuff," then what is it you want from the Explorer, just the long block? If it were me, I'd drop a complete engine and trans from a 96 Explorer into the Bronco, have EFI Guy here fix up the harness and ECU, get an A.A. adapter to bolt up the D20, and call it good.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
http://www.fiveohinfo.com/performance/gt40-gt40p.html

To verify whether you have GT40 or GT40P cylinder heads, examine the side of each cylinder head. GT40 cylinder heads have 3 vertical bars stamped on the side of the head as well as the word "GT". Ford GT40P cylinder heads have 4 vertical bars and some are stamped "GT40P". GT40's originally came equipped on the following V8 engine vehicles:
1) 1993-95 Mustang Cobra Part #F3ZE or #F4ZE
2) 1996-mid 1997 Ford Explorer and Mountaineer SUVPart #F1ZE-AA3) 1993-95 Ford F150 Lightning•Part #F3ZE or #F4ZE
4) Ford SVO Catalogue, 1990's M-6049-L30
There is no discernable difference between the GT40 heads from any of the above vehicles. The only variation is that some may have received more milling (Cobra), depending on what Ford vehicle the cylinder head was going to be installed on.

GT40P's come only from mid-1997 and up Explorer/Mountaineer SUV models, with part #F77E-AA.

Tim

mattt

Bronco Guru
http://www.fiveohinfo.com/performance/gt40-gt40p.html

To verify whether you have GT40 or GT40P cylinder heads, examine the side of each cylinder head. GT40 cylinder heads have 3 vertical bars stamped on the side of the head as well as the word "GT". Ford GT40P cylinder heads have 4 vertical bars and some are stamped "GT40P". GT40's originally came equipped on the following V8 engine vehicles:
1) 1993-95 Mustang Cobra Part #F3ZE or #F4ZE
2) 1996-mid 1997 Ford Explorer and Mountaineer SUVPart #F1ZE-AA3) 1993-95 Ford F150 Lightning•Part #F3ZE or #F4ZE
4) Ford SVO Catalogue, 1990's M-6049-L30
There is no discernable difference between the GT40 heads from any of the above vehicles. The only variation is that some may have received more milling (Cobra), depending on what Ford vehicle the cylinder head was going to be installed on.

GT40P's come only from mid-1997 and up Explorer/Mountaineer SUV models, with part #F77E-AA.

Tim

Good info there. It's not always possible to see the 3 or 4 bars, due to accessory brackets being bolted to the front of the head. Another thing to look for is on the outer corner or the valve cover lip is GT40's have "GT" cast in there, whereas GT40P's have "P" cast in right there.

Another visually obvious one to check is the spark plug angle, GT40's have the spark plug angled like every other SBF cylinder head. GT40P's have the plug almost straight out towards the wheel, perpendicular to the crankshaft/engine.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Think I have a set of GT40's ripe for the picking at the local yard......if it ever quits snowing and is not raining I'll get out and confirm. The "cow field" has to dry out before I can get to that area of the yard again. They will need to be drilled to work on my 351W but I don't plan on adding them till later on in my build.

Tim

dclack

'96s had the GT40 head. IIRC '97 was a transition year and a few got the GT40 heads but most got the GT40Ps.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It can be hard to see the ends of the heads in a complete vehicle. Look at the EGR for a quick reference. External supply will be the P-head. All internal to the intake will be a straight GT40 head.