• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer swap - using carb

TTownEP

I am just about to pull out my 302, and stick my rebuilt Explorer 5.0 in place. I am putting the old intake on the new motor to use the lifting plate, and it got me thinking I could run this new motor on the carb for a bit while I work out the wiring and get my PCM modified to make sure everything on the rebuild went okay, and ease into all the variables of EFI. Here's what I see that needs to be done:
1. Fueling - I need to modify my 23-gal tank to accept the Explorer in-tank pump and plumb the new lines. Will my Edelbrock 4bbl be okay on this pump? It's an early 97 model donor so it has the return line style - do I need a regulator with return at the carb to accommodate this?
2. Wiring - I need to wire the fuel pump, and the alternator; probably a temporary relay harness for the pump that will be swapped for the Explorer harness, and the alternator as if it were just a front dress swap.
3. Power Steering - I need to get that adapter for the Explorer pump to the Bronco box.

Is this a stupid idea? Should I just bite the bullet and go all the way EFI right now? It's my first engine build and I am itching to get it running, and take the top off a bit this summer.

l1VilMK.jpg

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Your carb needs a low pressure pump vs. the EFI high pressure so the intake pump will not work. Also the timing cover has no provision for the stock low pressure pump so you will have to buy an electric low pressure and wire it up and plumb it. You may also need a regulator to dial in the pressure.

Tim

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

Your carb needs a low pressure pump vs. the EFI high pressure so the intake pump will not work. Also the timing cover has no provision for the stock low pressure pump so you will have to buy an electric low pressure and wire it up and plumb it. You may also need a regulator to dial in the pressure.

Tim

Yeah, I was afraid of that pump incompatibility. I knew I needed an electric pump, and was reading here yesterday about all the Carter P4070 recommendations. Might go that route.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
When you drop in your old dizzy, you’ll need to change the drive gear from cast to steel. To go with the steel gear on the roller cam of the Explorer.

I put the Explorer in tank pump assembly in my old style 23 gal. tank, but I also used the original tank pick up tube to run a frame mounted fuel pump as a back up. Using the LP Carter there would work fine for the carb.

This is the correct fitting to adapt the Explorer pump to an AN-6 hose end.

https://leepowersteering.com/collections/power-steering-fittings/products/aluminum-power-steering-fitting-with-seat-ford-pumps-racks-pinions-16mm-to-6

Mark

Last edited:

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I did exactly what you are considering...Everything went as planned but I was having issues dialing in my carb. After two years I gave up and installed a Fitech unit.. All is good. 😃

GWBronco

I did the same thing. Put my known running carb on to break the engine in while I finished gathering and planning the EFI. If the EFI is not tuned correctly right out of the box you may not get the correct break in time on the cam of a new motor. So my vote is to carb it then switch over.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Off the top of my head these are the unique things between EFI and Carb that cannot be used on both setups and are ultimately wasted
1. low pressure pump
2. Safety inertia switch/oil pressure switch
3. Steel gear distributor for roller engine

Think you have everything else needed coming from your old 302 (manifold, carb, valve covers, etc..)

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

When you drop in your old dizzy, you’ll need to change the drive gear from cast to steel. To go with the steel gear on the roller cam of the Explorer.

I am running an almost-new Summit billet distributor, and I see it has an iron gear and isn’t compatible. Bummer.

Thanks for the heads-up on that. I certainly would have just thrown that back in there.

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

Off the top of my head these are the unique things between EFI and Carb that cannot be used on both setups and are ultimately wasted

1. low pressure pump

Talk about wasted... I just put a new mechanical fuel pump on last year, haha. Not to mention the distributor and a carb rebuild!

I did get the old engine out after work today. Glad to have an employer who lets me keep it there while I perform this transplant and use all the equipment I could possibly need, like the forklift here!

8cf3c461463be06a3e38f03475c15708.jpg

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

This is the correct fitting to adapt the Explorer pump to an AN-6 hose end.

Thanks for the link. I knew it existed but hadn’t seen a link for it.

Happen to know if it’s compatible with the 4x4x2 box? I think the PO of my Bronco swapped to this box but I don’t know much about the difference.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Thanks for the link. I knew it existed but hadn’t seen a link for it.

Happen to know if it’s compatible with the 4x4x2 box? I think the PO of my Bronco swapped to this box but I don’t know much about the difference.

There’s two style fittings for the pressure port on those boxes, seated and non-seated. You’ll need to look at your current PS hose to see what type you have.

https://leepowersteering.com/collections/power-steering-fittings/products/power-steering-fitting-no-seat-ford-gears-half-inch-6-long
https://leepowersteering.com/collections/power-steering-fittings/products/power-steering-fitting-with-seat-ford-gears-half-inch-6-long

Mark

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

There’s two style fittings for the pressure port on those boxes, seated and non-seated. You’ll need to look at your current PS hose to see what type you have.

It looks like my 4x4x2 box is already adapted to -6 if I am looking at it correctly. This is the 1/2 to -6 adapter I just pulled off the box today. And I already have the braided steel high pressure line I can reuse, since it’s -6 on both ends. I just need to adapt the -6 line to the Explorer pump using the Lee -6 to 16mm piece (pn 40810-FP) that you linked first for me.

d6bbf7440160e82c12c8a4c12e3f436f.jpg