• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer timming cover help

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Trying to install explorer serp setup cam bolt and bottom crank sprocket chain hitting the timming cover case I have comp cams timming gears and chain what will work help needed thanks keith

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
You might try a timing chain for the explorer. I think I read something about the older cam bolts causing interference, but I don't really remember

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I used a double roller set for an 89 5.0 and still had to remove 1/8" from the head of the cam bolt.

prtylikarockstr

there was a washer on my cam bolt behind the washer.. it had a half moon sticking out. i had to take it off to get the explorer timing cover on.

OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The cam bolt i think i can grind off about 1/8" and get a thiner washer and it will be ok . The crank sprocket and chain is 1 1/6" thick and that is the same as the face of the block to the inside of the cover so the chain is touching the cover at the bottom . I have tried 3 different sets has anyone had this problem? Thanks Keith

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I cut the castlated portion off the bolt only. I didn't want to lose strength in the bolt or go with a thinner washer. If the bottom isn't fitting then you definitely have the wrong timing set. I have an extra set, Cloyes C-3057K, and it measures 0.975" thick with chain on crank gear.

Attachments

• Bronco 007.jpg
    Bronco 007.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the help still having trouble i have ordered a different set to try