• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Extra plating of frame for trans/TC mounts??

OX1

Bronco Guru
Needed?? Even just "thickening" plating under where the tabs mount??

Plan is 2 mounts. One on plate that fits between my blackbox (doubler) and trans (C6). The other on both sides of the 205 case. Using 2 tabs and one bushing setup per end of each mount (4 total).

TN1776

Bronco Guru
That is probably not a bad idea but I've never heard of this being a common failure point. I do see it being kind of a PITA to locate the holes in the plate you'd add to match the threaded holes already in your frame but it can be done.

misterkeebler

for mine i just drilled some holes and welded in some sleeves for the bolts so they could get the proper torque without crushing the frame rail and for just the the little extra safety margin because my crossmember is my tcase mount and my radius arm mount. either way you wont hurt anything, just a little extra time

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
The problem with all these "nice to have's" is the 50 lbs of weight I seem to add every time I think this way ;D . I was planning on welding the tabs to the side of the frame and was not planning on bolting anything through (not for the trans/TC mounts anyway).

Maybe I asked the wrong question. Does everything of substance mounted to these frames need to be beefed up, bolted, and sleeved through?? The stock X-member mounts are just bolted into the inside edge of frame.