• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Extracting sheared mirror bolt?

MKMcCoy

Veteran Young Guy
Loc.
30A, Inlet Beach, FL
If anyone has any tips or tricks on how I can extract the rest of this sheared mirror mounting bolt from this threaded sleeve, that would be most appreciated. Also, if anybody knows the source for the best quality replacement mirrors, please advise, as the mirror cracked when it fell off. C080A6CA-E607-4A87-A13D-DCDDD282F632.jpeg

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Can you access the bottom of the bolt from inside the door? It doesn't appear rusted, just over torqued. If you can use vice grips on the bottom of the bolt inside the door, you should be able to thread it out of the fitting enough to get a grip on it from the top side to unthread it the rest of the way.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
If going at it from the inside doesn't work you have several other options. You look like you have a nice paint job so I would suggest some protection with all the following suggestions. Cardboard, pop, cereal, beer box etc with painters tape holding it in place should work fine. You may or may not have any of the tools/equipment to do any or all of the suggestions??

A punch and hammer working in a CCW direction trying to back out the bolt until you can get something on it. Don't get to close to the edge.

Welding a nut on.

It looks like maybe someone tried center punching the bolt?? If so is it centered? If not use a rotary tool to get a flat area to center punch and getting the area as flat as possible. Center punch and Drilling the hole directly in the center and straight are important. If you can eye ball the drill and keep it straight good for you. If you are unsure about keeping the bit going straight get a 1/4" socket, preferably a deep one that will fit in the recessed area on the bolt. It's important that the socket fits flat and not tippy. Put the drive in towards the broken bolt, put your drill bit through into your center punch mark and space the drill bit equally around the sides of the socket, this should help keep you centered with a visual reference. Now drill your hole watching that the bit stays centered. If needed you can have the drive side of the socket facing the drill to get a tight fit with the recessed hole. Drill the hole to the correct size of your easy out. I prefer the straight ones since the tapered ones can wedge the broken bolt in.

Hopefully you can/have get it off on the inside.

OP
OP
MKMcCoy

MKMcCoy

Veteran Young Guy
Loc.
30A, Inlet Beach, FL
If going at it from the inside doesn't work you have several other options. You look like you have a nice paint job so I would suggest some protection with all the following suggestions. Cardboard, pop, cereal, beer box etc with painters tape holding it in place should work fine. You may or may not have any of the tools/equipment to do any or all of the suggestions??

A punch and hammer working in a CCW direction trying to back out the bolt until you can get something on it. Don't get to close to the edge.

Welding a nut on.

It looks like maybe someone tried center punching the bolt?? If so is it centered? If not use a rotary tool to get a flat area to center punch and getting the area as flat as possible. Center punch and Drilling the hole directly in the center and straight are important. If you can eye ball the drill and keep it straight good for you. If you are unsure about keeping the bit going straight get a 1/4" socket, preferably a deep one that will fit in the recessed area on the bolt. It's important that the socket fits flat and not tippy. Put the drive in towards the broken bolt, put your drill bit through into your center punch mark and space the drill bit equally around the sides of the socket, this should help keep you centered with a visual reference. Now drill your hole watching that the bit stays centered. If needed you can have the drive side of the socket facing the drill to get a tight fit with the recessed hole. Drill the hole to the correct size of your easy out. I prefer the straight ones since the tapered ones can wedge the broken bolt in.

Hopefully you can/have get it off on the inside.
You assessed it correctly. The surface is not flat, and my attempts to drill into it resulted in the bit wandering too close to the threads, which would cause an even bigger problem. I ordered a Wybenz screw extractor and left hand drill bit set from Amazon. Maybe I can get a better result with that. In the meantime, I’m going to study up on your centering technique as described, and get comfortable with that and have another go at it when the extractor set arrives later this week. Many thanks. 0BDA4566-CB5C-4B34-A630-66EC1CA057CD.jpeg

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Did you try to get it out from the inside yet?? Really is the first place I would start, a good suggestion by Justin.

No matter what you use for a drill bit you will have the same issue, even with a centering drill unless you have a flat surface.

Getting a surface flat enough so the bit doesn't try to wander is your challenge. As mentioned I would use my die grinder. Then center punch. Never tried to, but even a mill bit in a drill if you have a extra handle and a solid brace you might get a flat surface????

Looks like it is a rivnut, careful removal of the outer ridge would make the whole thing come out. Oversized drill bit is one example. Several options going back together.

Having a nice paint job would make me a little nervous.

Let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
MKMcCoy

MKMcCoy

Veteran Young Guy
Loc.
30A, Inlet Beach, FL
Did you try to get it out from the inside yet?? Really is the first place I would start, a good suggestion by Justin.

No matter what you use for a drill bit you will have the same issue, even with a centering drill unless you have a flat surface.

Getting a surface flat enough so the bit doesn't try to wander is your challenge. As mentioned I would use my die grinder. Then center punch. Never tried to, but even a mill bit in a drill if you have a extra handle and a solid brace you might get a flat surface????

Looks like it is a rivnut, careful removal of the outer ridge would make the whole thing come out. Oversized drill bit is one example. Several options going back together.

Having a nice paint job would make me a little nervous.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the feedback, I have not attempted to get at it from the inside of the door, because I do not have the door crank removal tool, it should be here this week. I will keep you posted.

OP
OP
MKMcCoy

MKMcCoy

Veteran Young Guy
Loc.
30A, Inlet Beach, FL
From the factory they were held on by a phillips head screw. What are yours held on with?
There is no screw at all, that's why I'm thinking its the kind with the release tab. By the way, the extractor kit arrived - its not gonna work with my skills, bit still wanders, and I can't get a center hole punched with out it sliding as well. Maybe a neighbor has a Dremel with a VERY small grinder bit, but I still think that would mess up the threads. If the inside approach doesn't work, I'll have the guys at the custom shop check it out. I'm dropping it off there in a few weeks to have the idle and the (violently shifting) transmission sorted out.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
what size is the bolt that broke?? Looks like it's deep enough to use a bushing to keep the drill bit from wandering. all sorts and sizes of bushings at the hardware store.

OP
OP
MKMcCoy

MKMcCoy

Veteran Young Guy
Loc.
30A, Inlet Beach, FL
UPDATE:

Find a bushing at hardware, but there is not enough thread for it to 'bite' and fold. Hardware did not have a vix bit, iunfortunately. Lisle window crank remover arriving today, so maybe I can get at it from the inside.

OP
OP
MKMcCoy

MKMcCoy

Veteran Young Guy
Loc.
30A, Inlet Beach, FL
More: I was able to get the door paraphernalia off, and get up inside the door, unfortunately there’s sheet metal etc. that prevents me from getting a look at the inside of what I believe are called crimp nut inserts. So, I’m back to try my luck at getting it drilled and extracted. Worst case, I jack up the insert, and source one somewhere. Thank you for all of the suggestions and assistance.