• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Failed Inspection Sticker!!

superman1973

Loc.
Plaquemine, LA
Well, last Friday I thought the ole Bronco was ready for inspection. I was slightly wrong. I failed because I dont have a reverse light and because my exhaust is basically just two pipes coming off the exhaust manifold about a foot in length. the guy told me that your exhaust must extend pass your vehicle's body either on the side or the back.
2 questions... Did the 1973 bronco have reverse lights on the tailights?? And, any suggestions on maybe the cheapest route creating an extension to my exhaust. i was thinking just running pipes to the back and u-bolting them on
thanks for any input ;D

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Yes '73 was equipped with reverse lights. They are the small white section of the taillight bezel. Although they are so dim they basically do no good.

Ranchtruck

Yes, there was reverse lights stock. The switch for them is on the base of the steering column in the engine bay, the levers from the column shifter pushed on the switch. Depending on what transmission you have, it may be easy to hook lights back up or you might have to buy some parts.

Exhaust has to extend beyond the passenger compartment because the carbon monoxide will swirl back into the cab when you're driving, make you pass out, and crash into a bus full of nuns. Noise is one thing, poisonous gasses poisoning asses is another.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
In some states you can use a manual toggle switch on the dash (or anywhere within driver's reach) for the reverse lights to get through inspection.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Well, last Friday I thought the ole Bronco was ready for inspection. I was slightly wrong. I failed because I dont have a reverse light and because my exhaust is basically just two pipes coming off the exhaust manifold about a foot in length. the guy told me that your exhaust must extend pass your vehicle's body either on the side or the back.
2 questions... Did the 1973 bronco have reverse lights on the tailights?? And, any suggestions on maybe the cheapest route creating an extension to my exhaust. i was thinking just running pipes to the back and u-bolting them on
thanks for any input ;D

You may already have the reverse light switch. Manual trans has the switch on the engine end of the steering column. Auto has the switch on the side of the trans where the shift lever is. Wires are black-red.

OP
OP
S

superman1973

Loc.
Plaquemine, LA
I have an automatic trans.. didnt have the switch. I went buy a toggle switch and hopefully I can get by with that! thanks for the replies!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If for some reason your tail lights don't have the clear section in them, then someone has changed out to the '66 only tail light lenses.

Paul