• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fan clutch clearance

ericwilkison

Loc.
Portland
Trying to install a fan clutch. I ordered the Hayden 2765 clutch aka the Jaguar style and am checking for clearance. I've got about 1/2" betten the front of the clutch and radiator. Is this enough?

Attachments

• IMG_20191207_121728737_LL.jpg
    IMG_20191207_121728737_LL.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 65

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
You also need to put the blade on clutch and check for pulley interference usually the crank pulley ,,

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'll say "no".
Motor is on rubber mounts, body is on rubber mounts. These mounts move around. It will probably work if all you ever do is drive it on nice streets. But if you ever exercise it, and that might be something as simple as getting on the throttle hard, you can go through that clearance really fast.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I'll say "no".
Motor is on rubber mounts, body is on rubber mounts. These mounts move around. It will probably work if all you ever do is drive it on nice streets. But if you ever exercise it, and that might be something as simple as getting on the throttle hard, you can go through that clearance really fast.[/QUOTE]

/\ /\ /\
Yep. Been there, done that and THAT is why I'm going with an electric fan on my build this go-around. Radiators be expensive and I'm a cheapskate when it comes to replacing things unnecessarily.
Randy

OP
OP
ericwilkison

ericwilkison

Loc.
Portland
What we would the best spacing be? Trying to decide if I start cutting the core support. Or, could I squeeze a Taurus electric in there.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
If you start talking electric fans the taurus setup I think you would have to mod core support ,,theres the volvo fan option forgot the applications but the motor, blade and mount assembly unbolt from shroud,It's very low profile ,you would have to fab up a shroud to fit radiator and mount fan too,, plus the volvo fan control relay is rather stout..Now with the electric fan this snow balls into the charging system you will need a higher output alternator along with cleaning up wiring,,Then is the explorer front dress another option ??Or test fit your new fan blade when you get it if ok then modify radiator mounts core support to gain another 1/2 inch or so,1 inch min to be safe..

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
That really good electric fan draws 70 amps, the stock alternator replacement* puts out 65 amps....

*the originals put out 38 to 42 amps :eek:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The stock 60A alternator might put out 30A at idle once it is warmed up.
The Bronco has a small radiator opening for the cooling needs it has. This requires a fan with a lot of power behind it to effectively pull enough air through the core. You are not going to get that cooling with a little fan that only draws 5 amps. You are going to need a fan that makes real power, and that requires real power. Since power is amps X volts, and you are not getting more volts, it is going to have to be a LOT of amps. A lot of amps at idle requires modifying the whole charging system from the crank pulley to the attachment to the battery. How big of a can of worms are you willing to open?

Suddenly moving the radiator forward doesn't look so bad.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
These are three of the reasons the Explorer front dress is so popular for Broncos.

More radiator/fan clearance
Better fan
Better alternator