• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fiberglass bodies - terra comp vs kentrol vs ???

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
So they've used about a trillion tons of salt in northern illinois this winter and I've decided to go with fiberglass so I could actually feel ok about driving my bronco in winter. I'm shopping around and it looks like it comes down to kentrol or terra comp (malotte). I've heard a negative or two about malotte, but their new stuff at least appears to be a better product than past efforts. Anybody got any experience with either?

Bronco7672

Loc.
Richmond, VA
I got a terra comp tub about 6 months ago. The quality is good. The tailgate fits perfectly, but dont plan on using your steel doors unless you brace the hinges to your rollcage which requires some fabrication skills, otherwise they will sag. All in all i like the quality, lots of work to get it done right, but no more rust!!! I also got the one piece front end. I havent had time to even touch it yet tho but its prety solid too

Mikeg23

Loc.
Greenwood, IN
Bronco7672 said:
...but dont plan on using your steel doors unless you brace the hinges to your rollcage which requires some fabrication skills, otherwise they will sag.

Really? I didn't know that, aren't they supposed to be steel reinforced?

antnykk

Loc.
Northern New Jersey
I thought the steel doors would work too. I just ordered a terracomp full kit and was planning on using my steel doors after a little hinge modifcation to make them lift offs. Well, julie at teracomp said my kit should be sent out early next week, so if you can wait, I will let you know first hand in a week or two.

By the way, the people at Teracomp are super freindly and it seems like all the major EB retailers are using their product.

OP
OP
t.lay

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback - I've got a couple of decent doors I was hoping to use - gets kinda frosty around here. Good to know about the bracing. Nothing like a good challenge. I'm working my way through a ch*vy disc conversion now. Judging by the dirt and crud I've pulled out of this rig (about 10 lbs in the fresh air vent - and a couple more in the axle tubes), I wouldn't be surprised if its been to the bottom of a river or two. BFH has been my friend so far.

zeusakira

Loc.
Butler, PA
I have a Kentrol body I bought about 7 years ago and hav yet to put it back on . I discovered the paint on the frame was falling off as I installed the body so I took it off and it has been sitting outside for all this time. The tailgate fits perfect. The fiberglass doors fir perfect except where it meets te hard top. They told me the window frame will eventually break and crack wher it goes into the door. So why didn't they use metal? I have some steel frames off of an early model tha I will bolt on. That was the only complaint other than spending five grand I had to beg for a t-shirt after getting a tour of the factory.

ps4wdc

Loc.
Illinois
I went with the Malotte one piece. Very happy with the quality! I also used my steel doors, grill and core support.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
t.lay,

You should talk to my friend Tom. He's selling his glass '69. Maybe you can sell your whole rig and just buy his and you're done. He was going to shoot some paint on it before selling it this spring, but maybe you can beat him to it and save some $.

Ps4wdc has seen Tom's rig too at my place. You need to get in with the local crew here since you're in Grayslake. Our local board is http://www.66to77.com. ;D
We've got a few glassbodied EB folks on the board. Drop me a PM or email and I can get in touch with Tom.

Best,
John

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
T.lay,
Stuck a pic of his truck on the website for ya.