• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie Question....Fiberglass Bodies...

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
GOTTA start somewhere....looks like a decent truck. go look, never hurts to look right?

shonivey

buckshots are not bad tires. along the line of a general. i believe it was maxxis back in the day. if your in florida you only have the sunshower every afternoon about 1pm to deal with. the one that takes the humidity up to 1000%!!! worked a few hurricanes down there over the years.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
PHN - what are you looking for your ideal bronco to be able to do?

Pretty street cruiser?
Hardcore Trail machine?
50/50 mix of trails and street?

Some of this info will help us show you what you'll want to upgrade and offer...

OP
OP
PHN

PHN

Loc.
Vero Beach, FL
Both really...nice enough for the wife, and rugged enough to roll around the woods (in FL) and bring me back...be comfortable "enough" not look bad if I do roll to the beach or BBQ in it....

Pearlcoat

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a full Kentrol fiberglass body, bought new in 1990 (not 1999). The tub had issues but it has not warped in 21 years. I wheeled it (mild wheelin in PA and VA) before it got a nice paint job in 2006, now is a street cruiser. Never damaged it wheelin. It has 3" long travel suspension, very flexible (my avatar), and rides nice on the street too.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Both really...nice enough for the wife, and rugged enough to roll around the woods (in FL) and bring me back...be comfortable "enough" not look bad if I do roll to the beach or BBQ in it....

Exactly... ;)

Heus33

Bronco Guru

Well this sounds like a good start. If you do purchase it spend some time in the truck before you decide to to put any work into it. If it checks out and you agree on a price (thinking $6000 cash) drive it for awhile until some of the "issues" you list below begin to bother you.

If you do upgrade here's an idea of what you can do and what it'll cost ya (assuming you do the work yourself).

4 wheel drum brakes...no power assist.
Not a HUGE deal breaker - you can upgrade to a front disk conversion and hydroboost but itll cost you about $500-1000 using some new and some old parts.

Buckshot mudder tires...?
Tires are easy to come by here - you can often find a nice set of MTs or ATs for less than $700 for a set of 4 with rims. And you can probably sell the buckshots for a couple hundred to offset the cost.

No wipers, lexan windshield
New windshields are ~$120 from a glass shop, plus maybe $40 for the seal. Finding a nice set of electric wipers will run you around $100-200 if you Need this - I dont drive in the rain so my wipers rarely get used.

Suspension may be peiced together lift kit...rear shocks are questionable...may be over sprung for fiberglass body....
Nothing wrong with a pieced together lift. Shocks are relatievely inexpensive and folks here are always selling lightly used springs and leafs.

Underside not as pretty as surface...
Get a couple of cans of 3M undercoating or rattle can it if this bothers you.

No top but bikini top...
A full top can be had for anywhere from free to a few hundred bucks and you could get a set of soft doors for those inserts if you really wanted to close up the truck. Soft doors will run you anywhere from $200-$400.

So all in all - I'd offer $6,000 and figure there will be another $1000 in general mantainance items and then another $1500-2500 if you wanted to address the list above.

I think its a GREAT deal and a very nice platform to build what you want.

OP
OP
PHN

PHN

Loc.
Vero Beach, FL
My 2nd day on the site, and I have found this the most helpfull and informative group I have ever talked to....
Thank you all for the insight and sharing your experience...
I'm on the road to see it as soon as I get off work....

OP
OP
PHN

PHN

Loc.
Vero Beach, FL
And now...I can justify being a member of the site....

New owner of a 73 Bronco!

Followed Heus33's recomendation, and he took it...!

Thanks to all who helped....

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
GREAT NEWS! welcome and we are all picture hounds....post them up!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Awesome, congrats.. Become a contributor or photo bucket.. Most would suggest contributor as I would too

Real Big Stache

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Thats awesome! I just bought my first EB 3 weeks ago and I'm still loving it! You will love all the thumbs ups and waves you get. Congradulations man. Post those pics!

OP
OP
PHN

PHN

Loc.
Vero Beach, FL
I am going to cheat for today and just do upload....

You can click on picture and it will expand....

Last edited:

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I'D say you did well if it's half as nice as it looks