• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flat towing and a 203 Doubler plus?

pmctighe

I'm trying to decide on a transfercase for my build up and one of the considerations is towing. I am thinking of using the np203 to double either a dana 20 or a np205. Would either of these set-up allow me to tow flat four without having to remove the driveline?

If it makes any difference I am using a ZF 5 speed trany.

Thanks for you input,

Patrick

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That won't work even if the 203 had a neutral. The drive shaft is connected to the transfercase. You would need an unit behind the TC that will disconnect from the rest of the drive train. Or go full float but I don't think anyone make one for ford 9".

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
That won't work even if the 203 had a neutral. The drive shaft is connected to the transfercase. You would need an unit behind the TC that will disconnect from the rest of the drive train. Or go full float but I don't think anyone make one for ford 9".
The 203 does have neutral and as long as the D20 wasn't in neutral it would still oil it self, although I don't know if the 203 (or the ZF) will get oil when in neutral.
A ZF/203/d20 or 205 would be pretty long and tough to make a rear drive shaft work.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you mean the double part of 203 has a neutral? I thought that was just two gears selection. Sorry for the bad info.

Eugene