• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flat towing without a steering column?

Baja71

Bronco Guru
My grand plan is to prep my tub at home for removal from the chassis later at the paint shop. I would already have the steering column out, but the steering box/pitman arm/steering linkage would all remain intact on the frame. I would then flat tow it via tow bar about 20 miles to the body shop, then remove the remaining body mount bolts at the shop and lift off the tub. I would then flat tow the chassis home to begin work on that.

Any problems with this scheme?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Shouldn't be any different then with a column. You do know it tows better with the engine in? The extra weight adds caster which makes it tow better (follow the tow vehicle). If you have the engine out, and plan to replace the front springs anyway, you can torch them and do the bad impression of a low rider to get the caster up for the tow.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I've got a similar concern and when I pull my rolling chassis out of the garage my wheels instantly turn one direction or the other - but my steering box is out and the linkage is not connected. Would this change with the steering box (stock Bronco PS box) bolted in and connected?

godsotherson

How about a wrecker for @ $40 round trip. Much easier and much
more safe. Saving the money isn't worth it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've got a similar concern and when I pull my rolling chassis out of the garage my wheels instantly turn one direction or the other - but my steering box is out and the linkage is not connected. Would this change with the steering box (stock Bronco PS box) bolted in and connected?

Probably not.

With the engine out, the front end goes up. Just like a lift. A lift without doing anything with the caster. So the caster goes negative and the steering wants to fall to one side or the other instead of straight when you pull forward. Adding a steering box will put some resistance in it, but force is force and it will still want to go to one side.

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Shouldn't be any different then with a column. You do know it tows better with the engine in? The extra weight adds caster which makes it tow better (follow the tow vehicle). If you have the engine out, and plan to replace the front springs anyway, you can torch them and do the bad impression of a low rider to get the caster up for the tow.

I will have the full drive train in place. Motor, trans, xfer case, etc.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
You'll need to chain the steering linkages with the tires forward and with minimal movement. You can chain the knuckles on both sides.
This is what I'll do when flat towing even with the steering column in place...

Towing rates around here has gone up $75-85. one way but a new law prevents hook up charges.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
You'll need to chain the steering linkages with the tires forward and with minimal movement. You can chain the spindles on both sides.
This is what I'll do when flat towing even with the steering column in place...

Towing rates around here has gone up $75-85. one way but a new law prevents hook up charges.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. All of the steering linkage will still be intact so the wheels are essentially "chained" together by Ford. The only thing missing will be the column. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I wanna see a drawing of this.?:? ;)
Maybe I got my terms crossed,%) I meant to say knuckle and not the spindle. Sorry for the confusion... my bad....:cool:

This sounds better.. You need to chain the knuckles each on both sides...;D

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Maybe I got my terms crossed,%) I meant to say knuckle and not the spindle. Sorry for the confusion... my bad....:cool:

This sounds better.. You need to chain the knuckles each on both sides...;D

Ok, I'll have the steering box still in place and working. It just won't be connected to a steering wheel.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I have had pretty good luck renting car dollies. I think it cost me about 35.00 for the whole day.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Ok, I'll have the steering box still in place and working. It just won't be connected to a steering wheel.
Then you should be able to chain it like I have in the picture on the other thread...

The reason why I chained the knuckles on another bronco that I flat towed home (about 20 miles) was because it had a terrible lift and the caster was really bad. I chained it on one side and while towing the steering on the bronco in tow turned the opposite direction creating a bad situation. So I chained the other side also to minimize the steering movement.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
The offer to trailer it still stands. Between you, me, Jerry and maybe your brother (because he hasn't been around in a while) I'd guess we could move it pretty easily.

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
I think it's going to have to be 'trailer' then! ;D Thanks man!