• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flywheel + Clutch Install

Broncology

Received my new flywheel and LUK clutch today. I have never changed a clutch or flywheel, so this is new to me. Any tips? Is it just simply bolt the flywheel to the block and clutch to the flywheel ;D. Do the flywheel bolts need to be torqued? Thanks for any help!

Chuck

weasel

Loc.
Norfolk
Yes the flywheel bolt need to be torqued to a specific ftp. Make sure you have a clutch alignment tool.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Spray the flywheel down with brake cleaner before installing the clutch they usually have a protective coating on them pressure plate might have it as well.

OP
OP
Broncology

Broncology

Ok, the flywheel is installed and torqued to spec..also put some thread lock on the flywheel bolts. I then opened up the box that the clutch was in, and it seems like some parts are missing? The kit was sealed, so maybe I'm wrong. Below is a list of parts that come with the kit. Whats missing? (last two pics are just the front and back of the same unit)

LUK CLUTCH KIT.

Comes with:

-Alignment tool
-pressure plate
-clutch disc
-throw-out bearing
-pilot bearing and bushing.

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 37

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
first pic is the clutch disc, second is the pressure plate, third and fourth is throw out bearing. ur pilot bearing/bushing and alignment tool not there. When you get to it, torque the pressure plate to flywheel in a star pattern like bolting your wheel on your truck.

dont tighten any of the bolts all the way down at first. just do alittle bit to each one tightening them evenly until they are all tight. Yes it does take awhile, but thats the name of the game !!

you definitely need the pilot bearing and alignment tool first though !!

OP
OP
Broncology

Broncology

Ok....so I am missing the

-pilot bearing/bushing
-alignment tool
-hardware to attach clutch disc to flywheel

Is there anywhere to source this stuff local to me? I have called the vendor that I ordered these parts from 3 or 4 times now (It has now been a week since I received my order) and cannot get anyone to call me back on the status of getting these parts shipped to me (more than annoyed at this point). Anyhow, I want to get this project done so I can put in my ZF and move FORWARD with my project. The clutch kit is LUK, and ideas?

Chuck

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Pretty much any local store will have the parts you need. pilot bushing and alignment tool wise. I've installed many clutches with out the alginment tool and back in the old days they didnt come with them. also clutch kits usually dont come with pressure plate bolts you usually either reuse your old ones or buy aftermarket ones.

OP
OP
Broncology

Broncology

Pretty much any local store will have the parts you need. pilot bushing and alignment tool wise. I've installed many clutches with out the alginment tool and back in the old days they didnt come with them. also clutch kits usually dont come with pressure plate bolts you usually either reuse your old ones or buy aftermarket ones.

Thanks for the help! I figured it was possible that the kit did not come with the hardware. Is there a certain type of pilot bushing (size ?) that is used with the bronco or are they universal? I have never had a bronco with a manual or any other type of vehicle with one. Would just like to make sure I get the right parts for it. Thank you for the help!

Chuck

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Pretty much all 302's will use the same pilot bushing. Your parts store will ask for vehical and year anyways so its really no big deal.

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
One more thing, I highly recommend taking flywheel to a shop and have it checked and check the mount for the clutch fork. Read my threads on clutch problems !! I dont know how to post links to them. sorry !

CJ who???

Loc.
Banning, Ca...
X2 on getting your flywheel checked!!!!! When I priced them, all of the Bronco vendors seemed higher priced then the local Napa. I bought a new flywheel from the local Napa for about $80.00. I took it to a machine shop just to have it checked before install and it was .0035th's out. That's quite a bit, and it took him over an hour to true it up. Luckily he just charged me $25.00. When I called Napa, they said they'd replace it, but why replace it with another P.O.S. that probably needed mill work too?
The same thing happend to my buddy that installed a Napa flywheel and didn't get it checked (cause it was new) and had clutch chatter pretty bad. That's why I had mine checked.

OP
OP
Broncology

Broncology

Thanks for the help! Flywheel was checked and its good to go. The vendor came through and sent me the parts I was missing, and it came in today. What is the process on the throwout bearing? I am installing a ZF, any difference in what I need or need to do?

Chuck

OP
OP
Broncology

Broncology

Also, from what I have read is should use the bronze bushing on the left for the pilot bushing?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 34

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
just clip throwout bearing on the fork the right direction. the flat surface of the bearing goes to press. plate direction, The pilot bushing/bearing is preference. Never had a problem with either one in my experience. It can also come down to which ever one fits in the crank end.

Also, keep an eye on the throwout bearing when installing trans so you dont knock it off the fork. I just did this last night and I thank my lucky stars i wasnt being lazy not to check !!

I had kind of a hard time getting trans in and i knocked it off somehow. I looked and it was gone ! sitting in the bottom of the bell housing. Man i would have rolled it outside, stuck a rag in the gas tank and lit it if I would of had that trans back in there!!

OP
OP
Broncology

Broncology

Tried putting on the pressure plate and the 5/16 bolts would not line up where it would work. Then I remembered that my flywheel is a 50 oz (as well as my balancer) since it is a post '81 motor. So, should I be using 3/8 bolts for the pressure plate? If so, all of those would line up perfectly, which leads me to the conclusion that I should be using 3/8 ;D.

Last edited:

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
rotate the press plate around till you find the holes that line up. There are a bunch of different ones on the fly and the press. I dont know specifically the bolt size.

Make sure you wiggle the clutch alignment tool and have it straight in there while you tighten bolts. it wont hold itself out straight. You gotta make sure its all lined up. if you just put it in and let it hang, the disc will be out of alignment. Then it becomes a b*tch !!

double and triple check everything you do. its no fun wrestling these dang trannys !!

CANT YOU TELL IVE HAD ENOUGH OF IT ????? :mad: now i gotta go put everything back under the bronco that I removed to get to clutch on mine ! :p