• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For those who have rebuilt an auto column...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I am getting ready to rebuild the spare '73 auto column. I know it is a 1 year wonder column with a different PRND21 indicator that isn't lighted like the newer ones and it looks like it interchanges with most of the guts from the early 3-speed/manual steering columns. I got most of the shaft bits figured out and have a new turn signal switch ready for it.

But what I am looking for is a good exploded view of the column. I have tried my newest Bronco parts books. they show seperate parts but no exploded view.

Second, what are the wear items? I know the shifter is sloppy, it will need a new coller. But what other parts should I be looking at? Does the arm typlically wear? Shift tube? Selector plate? I plan to tear the column down and inspect everything before I order parts but am just curious to what others have found worn and needing replacing? Trying to figure how much new parts will ballpark in before I start on the project and where to find them all.

So far without tearing the column apart I figure I need new bearings (preventative maintance mostly),
shift coller (feel it is loose),
turn signal switch (already have),
shift knob (old cracked and falls off).

Does anyone know of a source of the correct '73 shift coller with the shark fin cast on it? I figure that I will probably just cut the pointer off the old shifter and JB weld it onto the new one. Unless someone comes up with a source. So far all I can find is the '74 and newer with the seperate pointer and they say to use that on the '73. I don't want that, I want the shark fin pointer, even if I have to make it myself.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Take good pictures and do I write up, please! I have a bastard 73 auto column that needs rebuilt too..........

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Go to JBG and order a kit for the rebuild. It has the shift tube and all. Theres not a lot to it once you start taking it apart. It seems a lot worse than it is. Me and my son Luke had his apart last week.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I see the shift tubes listed in the catalogs, I just don't see how this can wear out. I am probably missing something as I have yet to take it apart. That's why I am looking for insite on what parts to expect to find wear on. No sence in getting new parts that don't need replacment. I found the '73 auto rebuild kit http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-17012_column_rebuild_kit_auto_73.htm and I am guessing that is what I need plus the indicator and shift knob. Should I expect to find the shift handle worn as well or are those typically OK?

About the only 2 things I have not done to a Bronco yet are change body mounts and take apart a column. Both of which I plan this summer. Body mounts will be interesting, one of the bolt recently broke in half. I saw it was loose and tried to tighten it. It was broke, pulled in half not rusted out either, truck has had a gentle life.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Everything you see in the Pic for the 73 rebuild can wear out. We had to replace a lot of stuff on my sons. I rebuilt a 69 column once and it sucked. It was a manuel. I cant tell you what you will need but you will know when you take it apart.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It looks like I need to set aside about $150~200 to rebuild the column. Depends on if I need that $55 shift arm or not. Next step, save money. After that, tear it apart and see what it needs.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought the rebuild kit for my 73 from JBG also. I didn't have any manual, I just took mine apart and replaced everything that came in the kit.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Tim, are you converting a manual column to an automatic? If so, please take notes and take some pics, I've been thinking of doing something like that with my tranny swat in an effort to save some money...
Casey

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Tim, are you converting a manual column to an automatic? If so, please take notes and take some pics, I've been thinking of doing something like that with my tranny swat in an effort to save some money...
Casey

No, I have a wasted manual column in the truck now. A '73 auto column waits a rebuild. Hopefully this year, but don't get your hopes up at the rate I am working on stuff.