• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Godzilla Crate Engine

wsager

Someone on YouTube put one in a Mustang with the Mustang computer controlling it. Said it was programmed, but not who did it.

OP
OP
Jmjuhl

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
Hellabad Broncos out of Texas is currently building a Godzilla Bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked to them a bit and they are mounting the motor lower to fit under a stock hood which took some modification. They said with a cowl and body lift it would fit fine height wise.

OP
OP
Jmjuhl

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
Hellabad Broncos out of Texas is currently building a Godzilla Bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They posted a picture on social media installing custom tube fender and core support...wonder if the length started to get problematic

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
OBR is over $3K for stock HP

BUMP the HP up and the controller hits $4k.

Can't believe the Godzilla only makes 430hp... hope the aftermarket boys get hold of it!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
What is believed to be the first installed Godzilla engine in an EB is at SEMA this week - belongs to someone in Courtney Hansen's orbit. The hood wasn't open but I did convince someone to open it for me for a few pics (thanks to 904Bronco for the 411!). It's as Doug noted, a bit "unfinished" but it's in there. A lot tighter than I had hoped - and some trans tunnel mods were accomplished for the fit (6R80 behind it).

Todd Z.

Attachments

• SEMA 1.jpg
    SEMA 1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 167
  • SEMA 2.jpg
    SEMA 2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 183
  • SEMA 3.jpg
    SEMA 3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 175

hossbronco

Contributor
You say only 430 HP, what is your expectation?

Considering Ford's own 427W (7.0L) crate engine makes 535 HP and their 5.0L Coyote makes 460+, I think something over 500 HP would be adequate, understanding that this is built more for low end power. 430 HP is a little surprising.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Considering Ford's own 427W (7.0L) crate engine makes 535 HP and their 5.0L Coyote makes 460+, I think something over 500 HP would be adequate, understanding that this is built more for low end power. 430 HP is a little surprising.

Compare torque curves, and then ask yourself if those other engines are expected to last 200-300K or more miles in a delivery truck.

hossbronco

Contributor
Unfortunately there aren't any published curves that I've seen to compare, other than max. torque, which is 475 lb-ft for the 7.3L and 545 lb-ft for the 427W. Both are naturally aspirated engines. I would expect the 427W to last a long time. I doubt the Godzilla was built specifically for delivery trucks, but the right diesel would certainly perform better in that application.

I'm not saying the Godzilla is a bad engine, just that it's numbers are underwhelming. Unless you're just going for different or cool, or a supercharger, a SBF is likely a cheaper option with more aftermarket support and an easier fit in an Early Bronco.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm currently rebuilding a pair of 534 ci Ford V-8s that made "only" 420 HP....and 670 ft-lbs at 3200 RPM. Typically ran for 500K miles and more in highway use, and about 6000 hours in marine applications. The Godzilla engine is the first gasoline engine since the 534s built for severe duty long-life service. And that means...there is a ton of power potential in there to be tapped.

hossbronco

Contributor
That's where I think the fun is for Broncos. Take a solid engine and modify it for more power and torque for your application. I'm underwhelmed by a stock Godzilla for Bronco applications, but I think a supercharged Godzilla would be a whole lot of fun! Even do what Jesse has done, and with some slight mods the Godzilla is competitive, even if there are installation issues to address.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I doubt the Godzilla was built specifically for delivery trucks, but the right diesel would certainly perform better in that application.

That's exactly why Ford built it. To provide a heavy duty service engine for folks that don't leap to diesels, which are becoming less popular. This includes delivery trucks, motor homes, buses, etc. It was specifically developed to replace the V-10.

hossbronco

Contributor
Yeah, I realize it was built for heavy duty trucks. I never understood why someone would want a gas engine in one. So my earlier comment probably wasn't my best comment. I guess I was getting at the fact that people who really expect to use their trucks tend to go diesel. But the performance numbers are underwhelming. I would at least expect higher torque, even for a delivery truck. I think the engine has potential, but if I'm buying for a heavy duty truck I'm going diesel all day long.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Yeah, I realize it was built for heavy duty trucks. I never understood why someone would want a gas engine in one. So my earlier comment probably wasn't my best comment. I guess I was getting at the fact that people who really expect to use their trucks tend to go diesel. But the performance numbers are underwhelming. I would at least expect higher torque, even for a delivery truck. I think the engine has potential, but if I'm buying for a heavy duty truck I'm going diesel all day long.

There are millions and millions of utility trucks, delivery trucks, busses and RV's etc that do not run diesels.

Here's a torque curve for the Godzilla. As Yeller pointed out, this thing produces 400+ torque at 1500 rpm on up. I can't find a Ford torque curve for the 427W, but the dyno runs I found don't approach 400 ft lbs until 3000+ RPM. Thats a huge difference. And I can't imagine a stroked Wheezer lasting even half as long.

2020-ford-f250-7.3-liter-gas-v8-power-curve-1320x908.jpg

Quick & Dirty

Emissions requirements are making diesels less viable, so the 7.3 is a gas alternative. The cam is very mild for heavy hauling and towing use.

hossbronco

Contributor
Dude, if you want to buy one, go for it. It certainly has its applications. I'm still underwhelmed, though it is pretty cool how flat they got that torque curve and how low it makes it's power.

hossbronco

Contributor
By the way, thanks for posting the torque curve. I hadn't seen one yet.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Dude, if you want to buy one, go for it. It certainly has its applications. I'm still underwhelmed, though it is pretty cool how flat they got that torque curve and how low it makes it's power.

I do intend to buy one, but my '06 V-10 only has 58,000 miles so I have a ways to go. :)