• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame to cage tie-ins

3T

Is it a good idea to allow the body to flex when tieing your rollcage to the frame? If so, how do you it so that the tie-in will allow the body to flex?

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Yes, it is a good idea. You don't want a direct solid metal path between the body and the frame. That is why there are body bushings. Shock/vibration isolation is a good thing.

There are a couple of ways that you can do it. First, you can just cut holes large enough in you body such that your roll cage can pass right through it without touching it.

Or, if you don't like that "drafty" feeling, you can use something like this:

http://completeoffroad.com/wsm/i-51_tie_into_frame_kit-front_hoop_wbushing_66-77_bronco.html

which incorporates a bushing. Then, you just take the feet of your cage and mate them to things like these, with the body sandwiched between them.

OP
OP

3T

Thanks for the recommendation to the tie-ins from completeoffroad, but I already have tie-ins that do not incorporate a bushing. Since I'm dealing with a tight budget, I was wondering if I can sandwich a body bushing or just some rubber washers in between the tie-in plate and the underside of the floorpan. Would something like that work?

bigjhoov

nobody
Yes, you can do that. Get and old mud flap from an 18-wheeler and cut some pieces to sandwiche in there.

OP
OP

3T

OK that makes me laugh cuz that's my kind of solution. Now, where in the world do I find an old mud flap from an 18-wheeler. I'm curious though - will that be thick enough?

bigjhoov

nobody
Truck stop, chrome shop? Should be thick enough, they're usually about 1/4" thick.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
I can't say for sure because I've never actually seen anyone do the "mud flap bushing", but I don't think that particular setup would work very well. Two reasons I can think of:
1. The bolts will be tightened down on the metal on top and bottom (the roll cage, and the tie-in), so even though the tie-in itself might not transfer as much vibration, the bolts certainly will.
2. The sandwhiching (a nerw word?) of the rubber, I think, will be too thin of a flexible barrier to absorb the flex.

Now, not one to be a naysayer of good ol' redneck fabrication, here is what I think you could do to make the mud flap idea work better:
1. Use more than one layer in the sandwhich between the three metal parts. So from top to botom, you'd have cage|rubber|body|rubber|tie-in. And maybe even double up on the pieces of rubber to give you +/- 1/2" of flexible material.
2. Use more pieces of the mud flap to isolate the bolts from the cage and tie-in floor plates. You could either make small rubber washers for each bolt, or just cut a strip for the front two bolts and a stipe for the rear two.

So the final sandwhich would look like this:
bolt head|metal washer|rubber|cage floor plate|rubber|rubber|body|rubber|rubber|Tie-in plate|rubber|metal washer|nut

Damn, I feel like a regular redneck engineer now! ;D

bigjhoov

nobody
you could use some rubber washers under the washers on the bolts too, if you must.

OP
OP

3T

Alright, makes sense. Any other ideas out there? What do most people do?

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
I'll be making my own, similar to the complete off-road ones, using leaf spring bushings in tubing. Simple, effective, and allows plenty of movement while still being solid against a rollover.

bigjhoov

nobody
energy suspension 3.2106, 1.50" od

S2400125.JPG

S2400128.JPG

OP
OP

3T

Recko555, I don't quite understand your post. Sorry...I'm kinda new to this.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
You can use oldschool chevy motor mount bushings for stuff like this. Handy like things. Just flat disks with a bolt hole.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
energy suspension 3.2106, 1.50" od

Yup, like that. Is that your new one Jerry? Why only two bolts in the plate? I hear our new Safety Officer is real strict. He might not pass you for the trails. ;) :p ;D

edit: nevermind....I just saw your othr post. DUH!

Last edited:
OP
OP

3T

Is that a leaf spring bushing inside the 1.50" tube or what?