• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front brake pads won’t fit

Mrdna

Hi new to this forum. I have 1973 Bronco with a James duff front disc conversion from years ago that uses 1977 calipers. My problem is I got new calipers and pads from Napa but when I go to put the calipers on the outer pad hits on the caliper mounting bracket just a little. What am I doing wrong is there a trick?
Thanks in advance.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there. Welcome to classicbroncos!

Sometimes the Ford brakes are tricky the first time around. But it might not be you after all.
Lots of replacement parts are made incorrectly these days. I've run across it on several brands and on several vehicles. With the last Ford brake I did, the pads were simply too thick and needed to be shaved down or replaced.

Are yours hitting metal to metal? Or if the friction material was thinner, would it fit?
If you're not sure, post up some pics.

You can't do that directly without becoming a contributor, but you can either e-mail them to me or use your "garage" feature in your User CP and we might be able to tell from there.
You can private message me and I'll give you my e-mail and then post them up for you.
But if you put them in your garage, people will still be able to see the pics in other threads you have discussions about your Bronco too.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
M

Mrdna

Thanks for the reply. Is hitting just on the friction material right at the bevel on the outside pad.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have a dial-caliper on you, take them back to the store and see if you can find a thinner set. I've always been able to whether it was shoes for a drum, or pads for a disc setup.
Or if you're a long way away from the store, some coarse grit sandpaper on a flat surface might just do the job.
I've done that too, on the ones that only took less than 1/8" or so. Any more than that and I'd be thinking seriously of an exchange.

Paul

Timstrk

Is the caliper piston compressed all the way in? Would have to open the bleeder valve and squeeze the inner pad to bottom it out. Just a thought.

OP
OP
M

Mrdna

Caliper piston is all the way in, it’s outside pad leading edge that hits th caliper bracket right at the bevel.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, if the pads clear the rotor, try to slip the caliper and pads underneath the the top of the bracket, then push it up and in to get the bottom in place.
Then install the slide and flat bar, which you tap into place, before the bolt holds it all in place.
Good luck

OP
OP
M

Mrdna

Just realized I have camber shims. Any chance this could be the cause?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Could the shims be moved behind the caliper bracket? That way the caliper bracket and the spindle remain true to each other.