• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front End Replacement Question

EveBYoung

Loc.
Dallas, Texas
Okay, so a friend of mine has a 67 with a dana 30 with 4.10 gears that needs to be worked on. Needs new ring & pinion, spider gears, carrier and driver sise outer axle. I figured it would be a good time to replace the d30 with a dana 44. So if he bought the dana 30 replacement kit from jeff's graveyard (item # 12110), could he still use the 4.10 gears from the dana 30 to make it a d44 with 4.10 gear ratio? Would other parts be needed? (I realize buying the replacement kit he still needs to replace the spider gears carrier and outer axle). Neither of us has done this before so maybe I have no idea what I'm asking haha, so any information would be great.
Thanks

OP
OP
E

EveBYoung

Loc.
Dallas, Texas
I know. The replacement kit comes with dana 44 rings and pinions. But the replacement kit is a stock 3.50 gear ratio. What I'm asking is if you could use the parts from the replacement kits along with the dana 30 4.10 gears that are on there now to make it a dana 44 with 4.10 gear ratio.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
I'm not sure whats in the kit, but if it has actual dana 44 gears you wouldn't be able to swap those for the D30 ones he already has. Even if you could he'd be better off getting the Dana44 gears as that is one of the weak points in a D30, the small gearing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you provide a link to the info about the kit? I'm curious as to what they're saying will fit both the 30 and the 44.

Oh, I see what you're saying now, after re-reading your last post.
Then the answer is, as zeeman was saying, no. Your 4.10 ratio Dana 30 gears will NOT fit into a 44 no matter what other new pieces you're getting.
So a kit with the wrong gear ratios for what you're needing is not a good deal as you'll have an extra set of gears you can't do anything with.
If you're changing to 3.50's, then fine. But if you're wanting the 4.10 setup, then don't get the kit and pay for gears you can't use.

Paul